Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

1968 instrument panel

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 12:56 PM
Elvisinarknasas

Default 1968 instrument panel

I have pulled my dash out for the first time in my 1968 Mustang coupe (c4). I'm a beginner mechanic and have no idea what this black wire is or where it goes. I removed my instrument panel to replace the dim dash lights with blue LED lights. When I tried to put the dash back in, the dash lights do not work and. Ow my car does when I pull the lights out, turn them on.

i do see a similar black wire female end that connects to the pull light module, but I'm not sure if these belong together.

Old 03-14-2017, 01:41 PM
Gravydog316
2nd Gear Member

Can't see it; it's covered by an ad
Attached Thumbnails 1968 instrument panel-photo591.jpg  
Old 03-14-2017, 01:56 PM
Elvisinarknasas

Default Pics

Originally Posted by Gravydog316
Can't see it; it's covered by an ad
Black wire from light control

Black wire hanging on right
Old 03-15-2017, 05:26 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Was there anything plugged into there when you pulled it apart? When Ford made these wiring harnesses they came wired up to accept just about any accessory that they made so this is probably for a lead for a light to an accessory that you do not have. Good side is that you found a factory connector that you can use to power something when you turn on the lights.

As far as why your rig dies when you turn on the lights if you put new incandescent bulbs back in place of your new led's, do the problems go away?
Old 03-15-2017, 08:11 AM
Elvisinarknasas

Default Unknown black wire from instrument panel

when I pulled the instrument panel out originally I was dumb and didn't pay attention. I just wanted to make sure it doesn't go to anything critical, the black wire coming from the instrument panel.

im going to go now and buy new regular lights, factory replacements, and try to see if it works.

Originally Posted by fastbackford351
Was there anything plugged into there when you pulled it apart? When Ford made these wiring harnesses they came wired up to accept just about any accessory that they made so this is probably for a lead for a light to an accessory that you do not have. Good side is that you found a factory connector that you can use to power something when you turn on the lights.

when I pulled the instrument panel out originally I was dumb and didn't pay attention. I just wanted to make sure it doesn't go to anything critical, the black wire coming from the instrument panel.

im going to go now and buy new regular lights, factory replacements, and try to see if it works.

As far as why your rig dies when you turn on the lights if you put new incandescent bulbs back in place of your new led's, do the problems go away?
Old 03-15-2017, 09:48 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

You'd more than likely know if it was connected. Those old connectors usually take a bit of oomph to pull apart so if you don't see an obvious male connector somewhere in the neighborhood laying about then it was probably unused to begin with.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:13 AM
Elvisinarknasas

Thanks. There is only one other black connecting wire that is wired to the light pull ***, not sure if it goes there or if it will hurt to plug it in there
Old 07-06-2017, 12:43 AM
Sacer

learned a lot from you guys.