Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Instrument Panel Electrical

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 07:55 PM
slawson

Default Instrument Panel Electrical

I have a 65 with the long speedo. Thought that it would be a good idea to brighten things up and got a set of 1895 equivalent LED bulbs. Seem to work good for the illumination and high beam light. For the ONE turn signal indicator, it works when I turn one way, but not when the other. With a standard 1895 it works fine both ways. It also does not seem to want to work in the ALT idiot light but my suspect is that the voltage there is variable and the LED is looking for 12V. Back to the turn signal indicator....I'm thinking that since the LEDs do have 'polarity' that when one light goes the proper side is "+" and when the other light goes this switches. Would make no difference in an incandescent bulb. Has anyone else ever seen this. At present I just put back in a regular 1895 bulb and while it works fine, would prefer the brightness of the LEDs. Any help would be much appreciated.

I apologize if this topic is covered somewhere else...I could not find

Steve L
Old 03-21-2017, 07:04 AM
barrylink

i installed the same type of bulbs and had a similar problem it turned out that the bulb socket was my trouble so I switched it for a new one and everything worked. I hope it's that simple for you
Old 03-21-2017, 09:51 AM
slawson

Interesting. Next warm day I'm going to pull the cluster again and put a voltmeter on that socket and see if the polarity is reversed. I have a feeling that it is. Not sure if it's supposed to be that way or someone switched wires when changing out the turn signal switch (which was done prior to my getting the car as they would not cancel when I drove it and ask for that to be fixed which it was). It's not that big of a deal IMHO to use a regular bulb there. I'm doing my best to replace all other bulbs that I can that are 'on' much of the time as we all know the electrical system in these is far from the best.