Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Mach 1 transmission questions, C4, C6

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 05:16 AM
Nick DCC

Default Mach 1 transmission questions, C4, C6

I have a 1971 Mach 1 with a 351 Cleveland in it. This is the original engine. It seems to run good. The original transmission from the factory was a C6. The car now has a C4 transmission. The car was set up as a drag car and has not been driven in many years. It has been stored properly and is in very nice condition. I am bringing the car back to original condition.

I have several questions:
1) Is there any reason to stay with the C4 transmission? I know that would not be original but if there was any reason to stay such as performance, etc, I would like to know.

2) I have a C6 Transmission that I would consider using. I believe that it is a 1975 or 76 Vintage Torino. It is out of a column shift car. I assume that to convert to a floor shift, I will need linkage, brackets, etc. Where is a good company to buy parts? I want to use my factory floor shifter. Are these parts available new or do I need to look for used linkage, brackets, etc.

3) Any other comments or suggestions regarding the mechanical restoration is appreciated. If I go with the C6, I will need to alter my driveshaft for length and fit. Any other thoughts

My status is that the engine and transmission have been pulled. I am detailing the underside and engine compartment and doing the interior. I am at the decision time to proceed with the engine and transmission work.

Thanks in advance for any help
Old 04-02-2017, 09:19 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Unless you are going for a points restoration, I'd probably stay with the C4. I can't remember the exact numbers but the HP draw of a C4 is considerably less than that of a C6. Don't get me wrong though, a C6 is a stud of a transmission.

I had one in the fastback for over twenty years and went through it when my brother first got the car then proceeded to beat the **** out of it for a couple of decades with nary a blip then a few years back when I had the engine out I had it gone through and freshened up again.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:51 AM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

If it ain't broke...
Old 04-06-2017, 07:41 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

I agree. Keep the C4, its not going to increase your value by going back to the c-6. Especially if its running good. There is a reason they used that transmission for so many years in soo many cars and trucks. Its a good one.

Are you sure it was a c-6 originally and not a FMX? I only ask because when I bought my car originally, I thought it was a C4 and didnt figure it out otherwise until I tried replacing the tranny pan gasket and filter. I have a windsor motor though..
Old 04-07-2017, 09:51 AM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

Hey boogershnot, you might see my old 69 Mach1 in your area if you head up north a bit. Sold it to a guy in Carlsbad...