Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

351CJ Cobra Jet Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 05:18 PM
BNC173

Default 351CJ Cobra Jet Rebuild

Ok Looking at rebuilding a 72 351 Cobra Jet motor, going on a budget here & it has been a long time since I have researched so I was wanting options. My plan, bore out the block 30 over, use the same crank, rods, exhaust & rebuild but keep the heads stock without planning anything. I was going to change the pistons to try & increase compression, larger cam, everything roller, change the intake & carb & ignition. This is a car that will be driven to car shows or short runs a few times a year, but I would also like to have more then the stock hp without breaking the bank. I have seen others say they have gotten 400+ HP without doing a whole bunch but never see any true details. I also have o say I'm confused when I look for parts even though I put in CJ I start seeing rebuild for Cleveland's that I start wondering did I get on to other years or is a Cleveland piston fit all along with other internal parts? Thanks
Old 04-06-2017, 07:44 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

I say just bring it in to your local speed shop. Wherever you plan on doing the bottom end.. They will get the correct sized pistons, as you will need them to check the block anyway before punching it out. I had the same thoughts with my 351, but we ended up only going .020 over.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:29 PM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

I don't believe those 400HP claims either.

The Boss 351 only put out 330HP.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:30 AM
SSRFUZZY
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BNC173
Ok Looking at rebuilding a 72 351 Cobra Jet motor, going on a budget here & it has been a long time since I have researched so I was wanting options. ....... I also have o say I'm confused when I look for parts even though I put in CJ I start seeing rebuild for Cleveland's that I start wondering did I get on to other years or is a Cleveland piston fit all along with other internal parts? Thanks
It's very hard to find the correct rebuild kits for the 351CJ. When I looked around for one just have in case I needed it, I spent months looking online and with part houses (local engine machine shop included) and they all came up with 351 Windsor sets. Even though we input CJ. I finally found the correct kit for my CJ and have it tucked away on a shelf for the day I may need it.

Couldn't tell you what the numbers were or where it came from due to having been 8 years or better since I had gotten it. But, if I get out in the shed where it's located I'll try to remember to get the numbers of the packaging.

Good luck on your rebuild
Old 04-25-2017, 05:15 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Originally Posted by movielover40
I don't believe those 400HP claims either.

The Boss 351 only put out 330HP.

they were way underrated...the boss 351 was the fastest mustang till the year 2000 when the cobra R came out...