Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Oil smoke from 1967 Mustang Fe390

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 06:55 AM
russter500

Default Oil smoke from 1967 Mustang Fe390

We recently just more or less finished restoring our mustang, got the motor completely rebuilt, and have encountered a problem that we can't pinpoint the location of. The car starts to smoke a lot when it is left at idle for a short time. We have been burning about of quart of oil in around 100 miles roughly. And there is clear oil spots on the tailight panel on the driver side. We checked the cylinders plugs, and the only one showing oil consumption is number 8. We are really stuck. We have tried to restrict the oil flow on the top end, which, therebdefinitlynisnt too much up there, we replaced the valve seals, resealed the intake manifold with new gaskets and nothing has fixed if. The oil restrictors up too we put in, seemed to lower the amount of smoke but not get rid of it. So we are thinking, if that affected it how it did, its more likely too end, possibly valve guides. Also, it has a short block, And the engine does have aftermarket edelbrock aluminium performer rpm series heads. And they are still pretty new. It just wouldn't make sense that they are damaged now, because before the restoration, those heads were on the engine and the car wasn't burning any oil. If anyone has any ideas on what it might be, or things to test, let me know, we are at a rock wall right now. We are gonna do a compression test Sunday to see if we can locate the source of the leak or not.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:59 AM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

You said that you have a short block. Does that mean you had a shop build your short black and it is now New? How many mikes have you put on it since rebuild? What type and weight oil are you using?
I would guess that the rings didn't seat in that #8 cylinder and is just burning a crap load of oil, the shop messed up the cylinder Or rings, Or you guys didn't break it in properly, which would bring that same issue up.

pull the head and rotate the crank to see if there is any scoring on the cylinder wall. Or try a break in procedure. Let the engine run for 20 minutes at 2k rpm.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:49 PM
barstowpo
2nd Gear Member

I wonder if the oil ring has the expander overlapped? If heads are fresh or fairly fresh, the only other place for oil to get into the cylinder is the rings assuming the intake is sealing correctly. There are cheap bore scopes you can get for an I phone that may allow a better look into the cylinders. I think Milwaukee makes one.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:53 AM
Gun Jam

pulling a head should be a last resort. a good bore scope and you can inspect cylinder walls through a plug hole and depending on the intake if you pull the carb you can usually run the scope through the intake runner all the way to the valve. you can attempt to inspect the intake passage and gasket and see if the oil maybe from a bad intake gasket..Which is quite unlikely. Start with the cylinder.

Also it could be from a valve guide.. is it totally worn out or missing?