Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

69 Coupe Headlight Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 05:15 PM
CharminBear

Default 69 Coupe Headlight Replacement

Been looking around all day for new headlights, my left side low beam went out so I figured it was time to replace them all. This is something I wanted to do anyway, but now that one has gone out it's jumped to the top of the list.

Found these headlamps from 2 different websites. All of them are different and the seems like they don't fit very well. Can anyone link to parts that fit perfectly? Also difference between H4 and whatever the last two I linked are? Lastly, this seems like a fairly easy installation, but if not please let me know. Thanks everyone!

Based on the reviews for these they don't quite fit and will require me to remove some tabs?? Doesn't sound ideal, but apparently isn't very hard to do. Also it may not come with the bulbs according to one review - http://www.cjponyparts.com/headlight...-1969/p/HLA2H/

Seem fine, but I don't know what the difference between these and the H4 ones linked above and from the same website. Can anyone explain? - http://www.cjponyparts.com/headlight...am-1969/p/HL2/

These are the best price I've found. Same as the ones on cjpony parts, but no reviews - http://www.cal-mustang.com/product/h...ght-lamp-bulbs
Old 04-23-2017, 05:32 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

You can find factory replacements at just about any parts store. The standard part number is H6024. Wagner and Sylvania both make slightly brighter and color corrected upgrades as well.

The 2nd and 3rd links are factory-style replacements with the Ford logo on them. Maybe important for a show car, not so important for a driver.

Any conversion to a modern replaceable capsule style headlight will probably take a little modification. You'd also want to take the time to wire up a headlight relay at the same time, although you could (and probably should) do this with the factory sealed beam setup to gain some brightness.

I have some factory-style Wagner BrightLite sealed beams in mine and I'm pretty happy with them. A headlight relay is on the list of things to do.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:22 PM
CharminBear

That's good to know! This may be a dumb question but by parts store do you mean like an OReily's or Autozone? Or mustang specific parts stores?

Ahh okay that makes sense.

Yeah I did see conversion kits but had no clue what I was converting to. I take it the conversion kit basically makes it so that you can just replace the bulb in the future instead of the entire headlamp?

Appreciate the advice and knowledge!
Old 04-23-2017, 10:54 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Yes, any O'Reilly, Napa, Autozone, etc should be able to help you with a factory replacement bulb.

Conversion kits will swap the sealed beam setup for a replaceable bulb capsule, either a modern halogen bulb or an HID. These types of bulbs tend to be brighter. However, as mentioned, the conversion isn't always smooth, and the headlight beam is not guaranteed to be what you want it to be.

HID conversions in particular are often misleading, as the switching between low- and high-beam requires additional moving parts inside the housing, something that's often left out of cheaper conversion kits.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:09 AM
CharminBear

Oh that would be perfect. So H6024 will fit? The one's I linked said that there were problems with installation on the 69, that those parts had to be modified in order to fit. Did you have to do any modifications when replacing yours or did they pop in pretty easily?

Thanks again for all the advice, you've been super helpful and really fast on the replies. Hopefully I can find some time and pop into a store tomorrow!
Old 04-24-2017, 04:52 AM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

Here you go.
Outer high and low beam

Inner high beam only
Old 04-24-2017, 09:51 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

The connector for these headlights hasn't changed. They'll plug right in with no issues
Old 04-25-2017, 01:00 AM
CharminBear

Beautiful
Old 04-25-2017, 01:01 AM
CharminBear

Very much appreciated, really thank you
Old 05-03-2017, 12:47 AM
CharminBear

For anyone reading this thread, the info provided above was a little off. The headlights linked at autozone are too large for a 1969 Coupe Mustang. You need to get the slightly smaller version for the outer low and high beam found here ~

http://www.autozone.com/collision-bo...4_0_18273_8548

Not sure about the inner light as I did not replace those. They appear to be exactly the same however, but I cannot verify. Hope this helps someone in the future!