Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

1965 200ci running hot

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 09:50 AM
jdrider2

Default 1965 200ci running hot

New to this forum,,. my 65 mustang seems to warm up when I'm in traffic, I've changed the fan to flex fan 4 blades, I'm thinking of going to a aluminum radiator with a fan, has anyone done this , any other suggestions. Thanks
Old 05-16-2017, 12:51 PM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

Change the thermostat to a lower temp and get the radiator cleaned out professionally.

Little 6 cylinder with hardly any drag on it should run pretty cool. I'm guessing you only have 1 fan belt and no power steering, power brakes, air conditioning on it.
Old 05-16-2017, 02:49 PM
jdrider2

Thank you for your quick response,, yes only one belt, what temp thermostat would you recommend, live in Calif.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:12 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

You need to figure out what "hot" is before throwing anything else at the problem. For all you know, the car is running at a perfectly normal temperature.

The easiest way to get an accurate temp reading is with a non-contact infrared thermometer. An alternative is to hook up a gauge that gives you accurate temperature, not just "H" or "C".

The thermostat doesn't control how hot an engine can get, it controls how cold it can get once it's warmed up. The rest of the cooling system is what limits the maximum temp. Use the factory recommended thermostat, which should be 195*. This should keep the engine running above 195*. Any lower and you're just increasing combustion chamber quench and causing more problems than you're solving.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:47 AM
Gun Jam

+ 1 on the T stat. I would also say that 180 is safe as well but nothing below that.

When did it last work right? Has this always been an issue since you owned the car?

Im in central cali and I run an Aluminum rad with an electric fan it works quite well even when its 105 out.

BUT thats not to say in your case the stock system wont work in 105 deg weather. As starfury pointed out there is some stuff to look into before you can make a decision about what to do. its just as likely the gauge is wrong (has degraded due to temp sender or the gauge its self) and should be cross check as described above. The rad its self could be plugged with glycol or deposits and could be cleaned by taking it to a rad shop.

Is it low on water?

-Gun