Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Cost of a new transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 03:08 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Nope, white(ish) '67 fb.

Definitely down to grab some lunch at some point. I'm a little busy today, but lately I've had a fair amount of free time on my hands during the day.
Old 05-27-2017, 01:32 PM
CharminBear

By street performance do you just mean regular driving? Yeah so $1300 is too much, you think I can get it done for $1000, or is that if it's already out of the car and I put it back in? Because yeah that's definitely not in my wheelhouse.
Old 05-27-2017, 03:13 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Honestly, I'd be hesitant to have a general service shop rebuild a transmission. Automatics are finicky, and it's easy to mess one up if you're not familiar with what needs to be done. Something as simple as getting red fibers from shop rags in the valve body could result in some serious driveability issues.

I'd call groho's recommendation and see what he wants for a factory rebuild. Pulling the transmission and bringing that in by itself would definitely save a couple hundred on labor, but not everyone has the ability to do that on their own.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:31 AM
groho
4th Gear Member

Starfury and Charminbear, drop me a PM here and we can talk lunch, first question, who's buying? I live down the road from the dragstrip. This is my coupe at Mather's SFSCCA solo event couple weeks ago.
Attached Thumbnails Cost of a new transmission?-autocross-i.jpg  
Old 05-31-2017, 12:50 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Damn, didn't know that was a thing or I might've gone.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:29 AM
CharminBear

Don't know if you all got the PM I sent earlier so I thought I'd post here just in case. Anyway, I talked to the guy Jim up in Rancho. To take out, rebuild, and install my transmission he said it could be anywhere between 2500-3000 dollars!
Old 06-06-2017, 11:24 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Ouch.

Did the first shop tell you where it's leaking from? If it's just a tail shaft seal, you could potentially do it yourself with some jack stands, a wrench, a screwdriver, and a hammer. If the shift shaft seal is leaking, I think you need to drop the valve body, which is more complicated and definitely messy. Input shaft and pump seal leaks require dropping the trans.

Still, if it's not a tailshaft seal and the leak isn't all that bad, why not keep driving it until you can afford to do it? Just don't let the fluid get too low.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:28 PM
DERPR30

I WOULD GO GET ANOTHER TRANS READY TO GO
Old 06-08-2017, 11:26 AM
CharminBear

Yeahhh.

The first shop did tell me, but I honestly forgot. I think they said it was leaking from two different places.

I planned on driving it until I could afford to get it fixed at the suggested shop in Rancho, but apparently my radiator is leaking like a mother ****er now. Same thing happened less than a year ago so I'm pretty annoyed with my dad's mechanic friend. The part is still under warrenty so they're going to replace it, but I told them I want a different part, this is the second time in two years this model of radiator has cracked in under a year.

Once that's fixed, and in early July I can afford the 2500-3000 transmission rebuild job in Rancho. It sucks ***, but I'd rather have the job done right so I don't have to deal with it again any time soon.

Get another transmission ready to go? The guy I talked to, Jim I think at the Rancho place, said they don't make a C4? transmission anymore and you have to just rebuild them. Is that not true? Seemed weird to me when he said it.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:50 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Not new, no. But you can buy a rebuilt unit, have it ready to go, and swap it yourself.

Another alternative is to start looking at AOD conversions. If it were my car, I'd start running numbers on conversion costs, seeing as what you have has to come out anyway.

Quality radiators are hard to find. Most new units are chinese imports that have a tendency to leak around the tank seals. I had a couple of them leak before finally taking one to an old school radiator shop and having them completely reseal both tanks. No problems since.