Ford Racing X302 piston seizure - MustangForums.com

Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Old 05-27-2017, 04:59 PM   #1
StangNator

Default Ford Racing X302 piston seizure

Hi,

My name is Andy and I have a 67 Mustang Coupe. It is powered by a Ford Racing X302 crate engine which recently run into a piston seizure. I noticed that the pistons are from Mahle with part number SBF600040FPF. They have an oversize of 0.040.
My machine shop told me one cylinder needs to be bored to the next oversize, the damage cannot be fixed by just honing. With the part number from the piston I can't find any parts for sale so I am struggling to find out if Mahle offers this piston with .060. Does anybody know if that part number is a Ford specific one and on the market they are sold with a different one. And are they available in .060?

Regards
Andy
StangNator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 05:44 PM   #2
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Honestly, I'd recommend looking at sourcing a new block. 0.040" is the largest overbore most people recommend with SBFs due to cooling issues as the cylinder wall thickness decreases.

I understand 5.0 blocks may not be in ready supply in Bavaria, but if you roll the dice and try to punch yours out to .060, you may end up with a motor that constantly overheats.
Starfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:15 PM   #3
StangNator

The block is a F1SE one, the last one Ford produced with the thickest cylinder walls. I feel ok by going to 0.060, but a second choice would be a cylinder sleeve if no further oversize is offered by Mahle. So the initial question remains, does anybody know where this piston can be bought? My local dealers who sell Mahle stuff were not able to find them by the number I found on the piston. And the web search lists only eBay offers already sold. I have the feeling that they are labeled with a Ford specific ID and the ones for sale on Summit or anywhere else might be the same but with a different ID. But I need a verification. Mahle itself revises me to local distributors but as said they can't find the piston with that ID. <br />​​​​​​
Old Yesterday, 02:42 PM   #4
Starfury
6th Gear Member

If you're set on punching it out, why are you stuck on the same Mahle part #? Go pick up a set of something that you can get in .060" over that will give you the compression ratio you want, and this becomes a non-issue.

(you do realize you need to overbore all of the cylinders to match, right?)
Starfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:10 PM   #5
Coosawjack
1st Gear Member

Why did the piston seize??
Coosawjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:29 PM   #6
StangNator

Quote:
Originally Posted by StangNator View Post
The block is a F1SE one, the last one Ford produced with the thickest cylinder walls. I feel ok by going to 0.060, but a second choice would be a cylinder sleeve if no further oversize is offered by Mahle. So the initial question remains, does anybody know where this piston can be bought? My local dealers who sell Mahle stuff were not able to find them by the number I found on the piston. And the web search lists only eBay offers already sold. I have the feeling that they are labeled with a Ford specific ID and the ones for sale on Summit or anywhere else might be the same but with a different ID. But I need a verification. Mahle itself revises me to local distributors but as said they can't find the piston with that ID. <br />​​​​​​
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfury View Post
If you're set on punching it out, why are you stuck on the same Mahle part #? Go pick up a set of something that you can get in .060" over that will give you the compression ratio you want, and this becomes a non-issue.

(you do realize you need to overbore all of the cylinders to match, right?)
I am stuck to the part number because it indicates the product line:

Like @Summit
SBF600030I26 -> .030
SBF600040I26 -> .040
So there might be some SBF600060FPF out there I have not found yet.

And no, I don't need to overbore all cylinder if I make the weight equal the 0.040 ones. Not the best solution but something I can afford.
Old Yesterday, 04:50 PM   #7
StangNator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coosawjack View Post
Why did the piston seize??
This is still not clear. Maybe an oil problem. Water temp was ok, oil pressure was ok, too. No white smoke out of the exhaust while it happened.
Old Today, 09:34 AM   #8
StangNator

I actually found .060 Mahle pistons (http://www.cnc-motorsports.com/mahle...-ford-302.html), however not clear how the Ford Performance part number matches to the ones available on the market. As I have not found the Ford ones available for sale....

the ones installed SBF600040FPF = Mahle SBF600040F06
Ford Performance .060" = Mahle SBF600060F06