Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Frame rust - what should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 11:18 AM
Seadog
1st Gear Member

Default Frame rust - what should I do?

Driver side (note steering box at right), extension of frame channel from bottom of toe/foot area of floor forward.

Close-up of crack.

I was removing old paint and undercoating yesterday, getting ready to renew the protection. Where the frame channel extends beyond the toe/foot part of the floor I found a crack/split in the frame channel - closeup below is a little blurry but you can see the damage. Is this bad enough to justify fixing it or can it be sealed up and left alone?

Thanks for your help.
Old 07-01-2017, 11:32 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Fix it. It's only going to keep growing, and any part of the frame rails that are cracked absolutely need repair. However, if you can get it cleaned up with a grinding disc, it shouldn't be difficult to weld up.
Old 07-02-2017, 08:29 AM
Seadog
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Starfury
Fix it. It's only going to keep growing, and any part of the frame rails that are cracked absolutely need repair. However, if you can get it cleaned up with a grinding disc, it shouldn't be difficult to weld up.
After cleaning it up on the surface would you just weld the crack or do I need to remove the spot welds, bend the metal out, then look at the frame piece underneath? Not sure of the way forward. Thanks