Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Granada vs Mustang spindles

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 04:29 PM
gunnerdog
1st Gear Member

Default Granada vs Mustang spindles

Are the caliper mounting points for Granada spindles different then the mounting points for Mustang (69)spindles?
Old 03-21-2009, 06:14 PM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

AS far as the way it bolts up they are the same.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:20 PM
Deviousfred
3rd Gear Member

I believe one of the caliper mounting holes is bigger on either the granada or mustang spindles.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:19 AM
degins
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Deviousfred
I believe one of the caliper mounting holes is bigger on either the granada or mustang spindles.
The Granada spindle's upper caliper mount hole is 1/2" where the 68-73 disc brake Mustang one is 5/8". The mount is otherwise identical.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:16 AM
gunnerdog
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys! I am going to be building a bracket to mount 04 PBR brakes.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:00 PM
Deviousfred
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by gunnerdog
Thanks guys! I am going to be building a bracket to mount 04 PBR brakes.
Make double and send me a pair. LOL

I don't know if you are aware but Street or Track makes these brackets or will be making them soon I believe.

http://www.streetortrack.com/Street-...-pr-24140.html
Old 03-22-2009, 08:52 PM
leroman
2nd Gear Member

Default Chocko answer

Originally Posted by chockostang
Excellent Question Gunnerdog, and needs to be Explained, Info Provided to the Consuming Public.

The GRANADA Brakes were Offtakes From Ford Mustang/Torino for the Down Sized Models in the Mid 70--Gas High, Need for Economy cars.

The Smaller Rotor Granda brakes are TOTALLY Different!!, No way around it.

You can Take a Granada Spindle, Alter, Butch it to fit up the Early BIGGER Mustang Brakes, Yes---WHY?

The Rotors, are Smaller on the Granada, The Calipers are Different, The Brackets are Different.

Hoses, Fittings, Hardware, Totally Different.

For Those thinking, Being Mislead, the GRANADA is in any way a UPGRADE has a Sad awaking. It is a Down Grade to True Mustang Brakes---Yes, All 65-73 are Bigger Brakes.

Dan

www.chockostangclassicmustang.com

If anyone knows what he is talking about , is chockostang , i have bought parts from him in the past and the service is superb and the knowledge is top notch!! You Da Man!!
Old 03-22-2009, 10:07 PM
gunnerdog
1st Gear Member

Dan do you have a bracket to upgrade my single piston caliper to the dual piston caliper of an or GT PBR calipers?
Old 03-22-2009, 10:37 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

mustangsteve.com has brackets to use the 1994-2004 COBRA brakes
Old 03-23-2009, 12:50 AM
degins
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by chockostang
Excellent Question Gunnerdog, and needs to be Explained, Info Provided to the Consuming Public.

The GRANADA Brakes were Offtakes From Ford Mustang/Torino for the Down Sized Models in the Mid 70--Gas High, Need for Economy cars.

The Smaller Rotor Granda brakes are TOTALLY Different!!, No way around it.

You can Take a Granada Spindle, Alter, Butch it to fit up the Early BIGGER Mustang Brakes, Yes---WHY?

The Rotors, are Smaller on the Granada, The Calipers are Different, The Brackets are Different.

Hoses, Fittings, Hardware, Totally Different.

For Those thinking, Being Mislead, the GRANADA is in any way a UPGRADE has a Sad awaking. It is a Down Grade to True Mustang Brakes---Yes, All 65-73 are Bigger Brakes.

Dan

www.chockostangclassicmustang.com
Yet More Capital Letter Diatribe Against Granada Spindles and Extolling the Virtue of That Which You Sell. The OP question concerns mounting late model calipers on "Granada" spindles. There is no doubt that Granada spindles are far stronger than 65-69 spindles and equivalent to 70-73. That is all that is relevant to this topic.

That aside Dan, you continue to exaggerate the difference in size (diameter) of Granada vs 65-73 Mustang rotors. Indeed, we have been through this before. The difference is 0.23". Rotor mass, caliper piston size, and the pad and rotor total friction surface area are also important factors in rotor performance. Fact is, the Granada rotor has greater mass and friction surface area. I offer both 65-67 and 68-73 Mustang spec disc brake systems as well as the Granada types. The difference in rotor size is not enough to crow about.

Back to the OP's topic. I don't endorse using late model calipers on Granada spindle (or 65-73 Mustang type) with OE type rotors. The SN95 and Cobra calipers are designed for use on a thicker rotor. The brake pads would not be properly retained if Granada or Mustang rotors are used and they could fall out. Also, the calipers piston would need to be over extended at the wear limits unless a large shim is used under the pad. If SN95 or Cobra rotors are used, the rotor disc and caliper will be located about 1.2" further outboard compared with OE disc and caliper and will create unfavorable suspension dynamics. This is because the rotor hat offset is small on the late model rotors. They are designed for use on an entirely different spindle.

I have addressed these issues in a newly designed SN 95 caliper bracket and rotor that will mount to the Granada spindle. The full 1.025" thickness 11" rotor will have its disc at the OE inboard position. These as well as purpose built calipers are scheduled for release this summer.

Quick Reply: Granada vs Mustang spindles