Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Wiring Questions (here we go)

Old 08-22-2017, 06:50 PM
Cgottschalk66

Default Wiring Questions (here we go)

Hello guys.. before I start hammering down questions let me give you my scenario. swapping my '66 coupe to a 351w from a six, and while doing so I plan on replacing the main disconnect (left) which includes the wiring that goes to the gauge switches. I however plan on leaving the main disconnect (right) for the front lights alone as I don't have any issues with my lights and those wires are pretty much out of my way. I also plan on switching to a one-wire alternator while doing so since it seems like a more trouble free system, and also seems like it would look much cleaner (less wiring.) As a second thought, I also have had an issue for the last couple years, as my ignition switch hasn't actually cranked my car. One day it stopped, so I replaced the solenoid with no luck. I have been using a push button to get my car started (switch still works in "on" position, as my ignition and gauges only work here). I would like to get this working in the meantime.

So now onto my questions -

When converting to a one-wire charging system, is there any reason at all to leave the original voltage regulator in the vehicle? Reason I ask is because I see a green/red wire which goes to the (right) disconnect, which according to diagrams goes to my ignition switch. What is the purpose of this wire?

Next to this wire is a black and yellow wire coming from the same disconnect. From my understanding this is what gets power from the solenoid to the fuse box (pretty much sounds like the most important wire on the car)
Old 08-22-2017, 06:56 PM
Cgottschalk66

(Accidentally hit post on my phone)

Is that the function of this yellow and black wire?

Next question -

What is the purpose of the brown wire going to the center right post of the starter solenoid? Reason I ask is my car doesn't have one. I use this post for my electric choke.

Finally, the "gauge feed" harness I plan on getting; is there a wiring diagram that shows what each wire is for? From my understanding we have the 12v for the ignition, gauge switches, blower motor wires, etc on this harness, but many of these wires are toast on the original hanrness and I cannot tell the color.
Old 08-26-2017, 12:35 AM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

I think that Brown wire feeds 12 volts to the coil during start up. Please someone correct me if i am wrong.

Factory coil is fed with 9 volts during running, it only gets 12v during cranking to assist in the initial firing of the engine.

I have a single wire Alt. I removed mt VR completely. the black and yellow wire i believe sends the 12 volts from the Alt to the fuse panel.
I rewired my car so i no longer have that wire. Take note, it also has a fusible link in it. that way if the volt reg goes bad it burns up instead of frying the system.

Search this Thread