Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Best Clutch Setup

Old 09-22-2017, 04:55 PM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

Default Best Clutch Setup

my clutch, TO bearing and flywheel are all experiencing issues. have had the car about 2 1/2 yrs and the clutch is starting to chatter a tad. flywheel/clutch vibrate at certain speeds ( i have narrowed all vibration issues down to this already) last year this time installed 331 stroker making in the neighborhood of 400hp 400 tq. The clutch now does not slip at all, and im not 100% sure what is currently installed. and the TO bearing is now starting to make noise.

Time to replace all 3 and just be done with it. I already did a search and was not able to come up with results I am looking for, just curios to see what some members here may be running. I DO NOT want a super firm pedal and will not be taking to the drag strip to do 5k launches. i will be driving weekends with some spirited driving along the way of course.

also what weight flywheel if this matters at all? 28oz?

Anyone recommend a setup to accommodate this.

65 mustang 4 speed top-loader original block with 331 stroker kit.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:01 AM
Gun Jam

Modern driveline might be able to help with this but Im not sure if they do toploader's

Im running their hydraulic pedal system with a tiltion 6000 internal TOB with their 10.5" full Kevlar clutch. The system works very well. I dont know If a t5 is a requirement but worth giving them a call.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:24 AM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

I might give them a call, do want to stay away from the hydronic clutch just for trying to keep it as simple and "slightly correct" as possible
Old 09-23-2017, 12:59 AM
Gun Jam

actually I found the hydraulic setups less complicated, Easy to route, No maintenance, less pedal effort, set and forget.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:17 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I've heard many good things about McLeod clutches. They come in several flavors to suit your particular needs.
Old 09-28-2017, 02:51 PM
rocklord

What flywheel you have shouldn't matter unless you're planning to replace it also.

As for what balance flywheel you have, it depends on the 331 you have.
I purchased a flywheel from someone who had a 331 that was internally balanced so the flywheel was zero balanced.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:34 AM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

Pretty sure mine is internally balanced as well. So the weight of the flywheel should not matter correct? I know for sure I have pretty knarly vibration at certain speeds. I’ve have narrowed down pretty much everything to it coming from tranny/ clutch/ flywheel
Old 09-29-2017, 09:45 AM
Gun Jam

well yeah the engines run an internal balance counter weight on the crank but they also require an external weight on the flywheel AND on the damper wheel. in like 82 or something they switched to 50oz balance from the 28 used in up until that time.

If that engine is got a lot of custom lower end stuff Im not sure if it would run 28 or 50oz but it should be running one of them.

Search this Thread