Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

New Member with a 65 coupe and some questions

Old 07-02-2018, 06:09 PM
trader220

Default New Member with a 65 coupe and some questions

My father inherited a little money back in 1965 and before the Army took him he bought an Ivy Green with black vinyl roof and white pony interior, auto, AC, 289 Coupe. He sold the car in 1971. When he finally retired from his work life in 2014 I bought him a 65 as close to as the one I remember as I could. We added a few things, some of the work I could do and some I couldn't.... fast forward to today. I have a couple of questions...

We had a shop put in power steering for my dad. The problem is the steering is a joke. It takes nearly two 360 degree revolutions of the wheel to make a 90 degree right or left. The car wont track straight on the highway, and you can turn the wheel nearly 180 degrees before it reacts. He's getting to the age where its too much for him to handle.

Does anyone have any ideas on what to look at or how to tackle this issue? I cannot believe this is the way the power steering operated back in 65?

Second question. The car has drum brakes all around. I really need to upgrade them so he can drive the car safely. What's the best way to do this?

Last question.... The car has 14 inch steel wheels with the traditional 65 mustang hub caps. I'd like to keep the cap but go to a 15 inch wheel. Can that be done? If so who makes the steelies?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-03-2018, 04:35 AM
Worth1
1st Gear Member

You can get the 15" steel wheel, but Mustang only came with 13 and 14, so the Mustang wheel cover is not available in 15. However you can get a taller tire for the 14" if you are after that look.

As for the steering, the original PS in the Mustangs was not good. It uses a floating valve to control the power, so there is a slight bit of play in the wheel naturally. however what you are describing is not even close.

Sounds like your "mechanic" , is a MORON. You need to find someone that can check your front end and see what is loose. You can get play from the steering box, the tie rods, the pitman arm, and a host of other places, and just a tiny bit of play in a few different parts can make a huge difference. ALso after everything is verified tight, it needs to be properly aligned or it can still feel boaty.

Maybe someone else will chine in here, but the other day I saw somebody is making a P/S kit for these that uses a modern type P/S box instead of the original power/piston type assy. Can't remember where I saw it.

Last edited by Worth1; 07-03-2018 at 04:38 AM.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:56 PM
Gun Jam

how much backlash is in the steering system? If you start the car with the wheels straight and turn slowly left or right how far does the steering wheel move before you just see the tire start to turn?

its probably a totally worn gear box with totally worn front end parts.

with all new parts, a fresh rebuilt steering gear box and power steering valve rebuild it should be fine to drive maybe a bit sloppy compared to a modern car but not enough to make you complain about it for daily driving.

There are many disc brake systems available. I ran the ssbc system on 14" wheels for many many years daily driven with no issues. I would suggest starting by contacting them (stainless steel brake corporation)
Old 07-07-2018, 09:20 PM
dbgrigsby93

With regards to the power steering issue... look into a company called Flaming River. They make quick ratio steering kits that are manual gear boxes with a quicker ratio to make them respond like power steering. My brother replaced his P/S on his 89 mustang GT convertible and it steers like power steering without the fluids, leaks, and hassle of actual P/S.

Besides, according to our grandfather, P/S was always a gimmick for sales purposes. According to him “there was a time when they simply produced cars with the right steering ratios.”
Old 07-07-2018, 09:46 PM
Gun Jam

Those are good boxes but I reckon this dude is getting up there in age the FR manual steer gearbox needs to be bossed around in tight spaces and parking lot or high speed turns. not too big of a deal for younger folks but maybe not what he's after here.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:25 AM
Worth1
1st Gear Member

Driving with manual steering is an art. anyone my age has done the manual steering and manual drum brake gig. I myself bought a CJ-7 a few years ago with both manual. It only took a ride around the block to remember the tricks of driving "armstrong steering", and "bumperstop brakes". With the steering, you just never turn the wheel unless you are moving, and when you pull into a parking space, you always back out the same direction you pull in. Once you're rolling they steer just fine. The brakes on the other hand are a bit worse, you learn to drag the pedal threw puddles, and leave room at speeds. Mine is still manual steering and I have no plan to change that, I did go to power drum on the brakes, the older I get the slower my reflexes, so I figured I wouldn't push my luck.
Old 07-08-2018, 11:58 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

there is absolutely zero "art" to driving an early mustang with stock tires and manual steering nor is any unusual amount of strength required.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:14 AM
Worth1
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by barnett468
there is absolutely zero "art" to driving an early mustang with stock tires and manual steering nor is any unusual amount of strength required.
If you think there is no difference between driving a PS vehicle and a manual steering vehicle, you have a serious problem with your internal sensors. The "ART" is not trying to steer while you're not moving. And learning not to go the hard way in parking lots. All I'm saying is if you think about how you are steering, life is a lot easier for you and a lot easier for your rag joint. My sons '79 F-100 has a 460 and manual steering, he goes threw a rag joint every year, I drove that truck for 4 years without replacing one. He'd rather muscle it than do it right. Just trying to give usable advice.