Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

1970 Mustang Coupe MC brake lines...

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 11:11 PM
cebu

Default 1970 Mustang Coupe MC brake lines...

I thought I'd start a new thread on my brake line question...

I purchased a 1970 Mach 1 Power booster, master cylinder and brake pedal for my 1970 Mustang Coupe. I see various Master cylinder to proportional valve brake lines but not 100% certain if they will fit my application.

Question 1: Will my existing proportional valve work? (I have drums brakes on all 4 wheels)
Question 2: Where do I find just the brake lines. I've had several suggestions but still can't find the brake lines for my year and application.

I've included a couple photos of the parts and car for reference. If you have a link to a source that would be great.

Thank you in advance.
Attached Thumbnails 1970 Mustang Coupe MC brake lines...-img_0024.jpg   1970 Mustang Coupe MC brake lines...-img_5289.jpg  
Old 10-05-2017, 12:27 AM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cebu
I thought I'd start a new thread on my brake line question...

I purchased a 1970 Mach 1 Power booster, master cylinder and brake pedal for my 1970 Mustang Coupe. I see various Master cylinder to proportional valve brake lines but not 100% certain if they will fit my application.

Question 1: Will my existing proportional valve work? (I have drums brakes on all 4 wheels)
Question 2: Where do I find just the brake lines. I've had several suggestions but still can't find the brake lines for my year and application.

I've included a couple photos of the parts and car for reference. If you have a link to a source that would be great.

Thank you in advance.
Something is fishy. No proportioning valve is used with 4-wheel drum brakes. Are you sure there IS a proportioning valve present?

Replacement brake lines are typically sold in individual lengths, suitable for multiple-vehicle use. You pull out the old line, get a new one approximating the same length, bend and twist until it mimics the old one. Then, tighten the fittings/. imp
Old 10-05-2017, 07:21 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

It's hard to tell from the picture, but I think that's just a distribution block, not a prop valve.

Of course, that means you DO need a prop valve. You can either plumb an adjustable valve into the rear brake line, or replace the existing distribution valve with a combo unit.
Old 10-05-2017, 02:17 PM
cebu

Thus my ignorance is shown. I was under the assumption all dividers were proportional valves in nature.

It seems I can use a proper length of brake line and bend to my needs, with additional length for stress relief bends.

Thank you for you insight, much appreciated.

Originally Posted by imp
Something is fishy. No proportioning valve is used with 4-wheel drum brakes. Are you sure there IS a proportioning valve present?

Replacement brake lines are typically sold in individual lengths, suitable for multiple-vehicle use. You pull out the old line, get a new one approximating the same length, bend and twist until it mimics the old one. Then, tighten the fittings/. imp
Old 10-05-2017, 02:20 PM
cebu

I believe you're correct. I will check tonight if there is a valve circuit.

So with a 4 wheel drum brake system a prop valve is needed?

Question: I can get the original Mach 1 Master Cylinder cables and prop valve. The Mach 1 had disc brakes up front, not certain but I believe the rear were drum brakes.

Originally Posted by Starfury
It's hard to tell from the picture, but I think that's just a distribution block, not a prop valve.

Of course, that means you DO need a prop valve. You can either plumb an adjustable valve into the rear brake line, or replace the existing distribution valve with a combo unit.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:23 AM
cebu

I included a photo of the brake line divider. Since I have 4 drum brakes I should not need a proportional valve. Is that correct? From what I understand now the prop valve is used for front disc and rear drum brake setups having equal initial contact of the pads and brake shoes.
Attached Thumbnails 1970 Mustang Coupe MC brake lines...-img_0071.jpg  
Old 10-06-2017, 02:37 AM
Stepman
4th Gear Member

Check with classictube for your lines. The prop valve allows to maintain a small amount of pressure to the drums but,none to the discs so you would need to change yours.
Old 10-07-2017, 12:37 AM
cebu

I must be missing something. I need a prop valve even if I'm running 4 drum brakes? I do not plan on changing to disc brakes any time soon. I want the comfort features the power booster provides.

Originally Posted by Stepman
Check with classictube for your lines. The prop valve allows to maintain a small amount of pressure to the drums but,none to the discs so you would need to change yours.
Old 10-07-2017, 06:24 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Sorry, no, you do NOT need a proportioning valve with 4 wheel drums.

Also, prop valves do not maintain pressure, they proportion it front/rear. Discs require much less pressure than drums, so you have to reduce that pressure to keep from locking up the discs before the drums.

Cebu, use loops in the lines to the m/c to provide flexibility
Old 10-07-2017, 06:37 PM
cebu

Bingo. I'll start looking for the proper length cables and will make use of loops for flexibility. Thank you for the clarification Starfury.

Originally Posted by Starfury
Sorry, no, you do NOT need a proportioning valve with 4 wheel drums.

Also, prop valves do not maintain pressure, they proportion it front/rear. Discs require much less pressure than drums, so you have to reduce that pressure to keep from locking up the discs before the drums.

Cebu, use loops in the lines to the m/c to provide flexibility