Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

6 Cylinder Correct Carburetor Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2023, 06:21 AM
66newbie

Default 6 Cylinder Correct Carburetor Question

So just bought my first classic mustang and it has been sitting for ten years prior to me purchasing. I know this has been covered before in forums, however I have a question on not sure if I have the correct carburetor to match the correct distributor. The car was built in San Jose, its a 1966 6 cylinder 200. Being built in San Jose would have had the thermactor which of course was removed. The carburetor was changed as some point so trying to figure out if the carb matches the distributor I do have some stalling when accelerating from a stop at a slow speed, wasn't sure if its still just because the car has been sitting for over ten years or a carburetor that does not match the distributor. I have changed out the gas tank, fuel filter, fuel pump, blew out the gas line, cleaned etc. Thank you in advance for any help and sorry if this has been covered some where. I have included pictures of the carb from both sides as well as the distributor. Thanks again!

Old 10-27-2023, 11:18 AM
Mostang66
1st Gear Member

Not a simple answer by any means. You know something about this already, or you wouldn't be asking. You don't say if the Mustang is a manual or automatic. My understanding is that at an idle, with a timing light, you should see about a 6 degree advance when you pull the vacuum line on a manual car - and 12 degree with an automatic. The carburetor does not have a Spark Control Valve (SCV), and I am not certain, but I believe the SCV distributor was both vacuum and centrifugal advance, so I would say you could have a mismatch. Other than the advance at idle when you pull the vacuum line, what kind of advance are you getting when you rev the engine (with vacuum line installed)?
Old 10-27-2023, 11:34 AM
66newbie

Thanks for the reply. It is an automatic. Would changing out the distributor and points to match be a good possible correction
Old 10-27-2023, 12:14 PM
66newbie

Originally Posted by Mostang66
Not a simple answer by any means. You know something about this already, or you wouldn't be asking. You don't say if the Mustang is a manual or automatic. My understanding is that at an idle, with a timing light, you should see about a 6 degree advance when you pull the vacuum line on a manual car - and 12 degree with an automatic. The carburetor does not have a Spark Control Valve (SCV), and I am not certain, but I believe the SCV distributor was both vacuum and centrifugal advance, so I would say you could have a mismatch. Other than the advance at idle when you pull the vacuum line, what kind of advance are you getting when you rev the engine (with vacuum line installed)?

Thanks for the reply. It is an automatic. Would changing out the distributor and points to match be a good possible correction? I was thinking of going with an electronic ignition to replace the points and go with one that is for a car without the thermactor since it is no longer on the car and the carburetor does not have the SCV as you pointed out. Thanks for your reply and help.
Old 10-27-2023, 01:52 PM
Mostang66
1st Gear Member

Are you able to check the advance at idle when you remove the vacuum hose? The first issue could be that someone put a distributor tuned for a manual car in your automatic. I have heard the Ford 6 likes a lot of advance.
I really like the Pertronix unit, but knowledgeable people seem to also recommend the Duraspark distributor as well. Two problems for you, well one is for everyone doing an electronic ignition upgrade, which is you have to bypass the ballast resistor wire and provide 12v to the coil. Doing this is not insurmountable though. The other, which is specific to you, is that the vacuum advance remains suspect even with the electronic ignition, if you keep the distributor housing you have. I have also read that you can call Kentucky Mustang directly and they will match you the correct carburetor and distributor.
Old 10-27-2023, 02:29 PM
66newbie

Originally Posted by Mostang66
Are you able to check the advance at idle when you remove the vacuum hose? The first issue could be that someone put a distributor tuned for a manual car in your automatic. I have heard the Ford 6 likes a lot of advance.
I really like the Pertronix unit, but knowledgeable people seem to also recommend the Duraspark distributor as well. Two problems for you, well one is for everyone doing an electronic ignition upgrade, which is you have to bypass the ballast resistor wire and provide 12v to the coil. Doing this is not insurmountable though. The other, which is specific to you, is that the vacuum advance remains suspect even with the electronic ignition, if you keep the distributor housing you have. I have also read that you can call Kentucky Mustang directly and they will match you the correct carburetor and distributor.

Thanks again for your helpfulness. I'll get ahold of Kentucky Mustang to see what Distributor matches my Carburetor, I was pretty much planning on doing the electronic ignition upgrade anyways so may as well get it right from the beginning and see if this clears up the stalling at low accleration. Thank you very much for the advice.
Old 10-27-2023, 04:16 PM
Mostang66
1st Gear Member

It's sometimes hard to remember, when your problem is resolved and you've moved on, but try to post how this turns out for you, especially if you resolve your issue. Looking at this forum and others, there are a lot of people who probably have the same problem you do.