Engine noise after oil change!! - MustangForums.com

Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:51 PM   #1  
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

Default Engine noise after oil change!!

This weekend I decided to do the 3rd oil change in my 331 stroker. Engine is full roller cam and has about 1500 mikes on it now. I ran 10-30 for break in conventional, then 20-50 Castrol conventional after the first 500 miles. I decided to go to a 20-50 valveoline race oil with zinc. When I started it up it sounded as if was knocking badly! Scared the crap out of me and shut it off. Decided to let it warm up and take it on an easy ride around the block, no hesitation or loss of power at all. Came back home and the noise is gone. Oil pressure is the same as it was before when fully warm. 40 at idle, and about 55-60 above 2k rpm while driving. I felt better about things, then this morning upon a cold start it did the same exact thing! Hard knocking noises ( that in pinned down to the roller rockers not knock) then all good after fully warm. Just for my own peace of mind I went to the auto part store and picked up the same oil as it was before, Castrol conventional 20-50. Needless to say itís still doing the same exact thing, loud noise from the rockers that sounds like knock the goes away.

At least I know the motor is ok! But why in the heck was this not happening at all know an issue?! I do notice the oil pressure on a cold start went to 60 right away before and now is at about 45-50... hot is the exact same. And the oil is a little over the top line as it was in the middle of the two ( as if I could add one ) with the old oil. So my theory is possibly too much oil being really the only difference....? Since the weather is the same, I am in the Phx AZ area so right now high. 60s low 70s in the middle of the day and 50s at night What oil would you run in this motor and weather climate?

Last edited by drewsky; 01-15-2018 at 11:54 PM.
drewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:35 AM   #2  
Gun Jam

I always run 10w-30.

With the 10w-30 there was never an issue? IF yes (never an issue) I would go back to 10w-30 you can run the valvoline VR1 I did for many years but switched to Maxima Performance 10w-30 ( recommended by an engine builder)

It could be the thicker oil isnt flowing well enough at start up to pump up lifters or enter main bearings.

What viscosity did the engine builder recommend? Most modern engines run 5-30..
Gun Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:20 AM   #3  
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

I am going to call the builder tomorrow, the thing that is weird to me is the fact that it was a non issue before in the same weather. The only difference may be a slight loss is viscosity from older oil and less oil all together. I liked the way it ran before , very quite and good pressure. Think I may switch to a 5-40 if they make that . Or like you said just go 10-30 and be done with it. When the weather warms up I really do like the thicker oil at temp.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:57 AM   #4  
proeagles
3rd Gear Member

The clearances could be so tight that the thicker oil isn't working at start up. Even multi-viscosity oils are a little thick when cold.
proeagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:27 PM   #5  
Derf00
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by proeagles View Post
The clearances could be so tight that the thicker oil isn't working at start up. Even multi-viscosity oils are a little thick when cold.
Cold...? what's that? We're in AZ!

Anyways, Proeagle is right, 20w-50 is too thick for a rebuilt motor. Even 10W something would be on the thicker side.

5W-30 or 5W-40 would be ideal. At startup all of the oil is in the pan and with thicker weight oils like 20W it takes a split second longer to get oil to the top of the engine and through all the passageways, that actually leads to more engine wear at startup.

What's the saying, 80% of engine wear happens at startup and at the top 20% of the RPM range?
Derf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:29 PM   #6  
Derf00
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewsky View Post
I am going to call the builder tomorrow, the thing that is weird to me is the fact that it was a non issue before in the same weather. The only difference may be a slight loss is viscosity from older oil and less oil all together. I liked the way it ran before , very quite and good pressure. Think I may switch to a 5-40 if they make that . Or like you said just go 10-30 and be done with it. When the weather warms up I really do like the thicker oil at temp.
There is such a thing as 5w-50 That will give a low viscocity at start up and the higest viscosity at temp, your builder can best advise you on what multi-weight is ideal for the build.
Derf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 04:23 PM   #7  
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

i was actually thinking about 5-50! i run that in my 2013 Shelby. its super expensive though haha. either way i will be making some changes. it is still bugging me why this is happening now and was not before? do you think i should take about a qt of oil out and start it cold to see what happens?
Old 01-16-2018, 07:24 PM   #8  
Gun Jam

no you should contact your engine builder and see if the viscosity is suspect. He should know how tight that motor is and what oil would be suitable.
Gun Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 01:10 PM   #9  
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

talked to the engine builder this morning, he suggested i move to a 10 or 15-40 in the colder weather but did like the 20-50 in the hotter months. he also assumed most of the noise is piston slap when cold due to forged internals. i think i will run the 10-40 for now and see how that goes.
Old 01-27-2018, 04:12 PM   #10  
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

To follow up in this. I went to 10-40 and itís 100% gone cold and warm. Will be going back to the 20-50 in another 4-5 months