Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

What are common diff. Swaps on a 69 mustang? Help please

Old 09-26-2018, 10:40 AM
Sam_69Project

Default What are common diff. Swaps on a 69 mustang? Help please

My mustang project differential is a four stud differential but I believe they are supposed to be a 5 lug, my car is a Frankenstein car too since the front spindle was from a 77 granada.

Old 09-26-2018, 02:51 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

Yeah that is odd, after 68 any 6cyl mustang came with 5 lug. So I guess it could be possible they swapped in a rear end from a 65-68.

That front end you have isn't that uncommon, the Granada swap is popular to get disc brakes on the classics.
Old 09-26-2018, 05:03 PM
Sam_69Project

Originally Posted by 1slow67
Yeah that is odd, after 68 any 6cyl mustang came with 5 lug. So I guess it could be possible they swapped in a rear end from a 65-68.

That front end you have isn't that uncommon, the Granada swap is popular to get disc brakes on the classics.
ohh I see, thanks for the feedback also do you happen to know about how I can install a automatic transmission on this car since I have the engine and tranny out of a 89 mustang but I’m not sure if I need a computer for the transmission.
Old 09-26-2018, 05:13 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

You shouldn't need a computer for that year, I don't think ford went to the AOD-E or 4r70w until around 95.
Old 09-26-2018, 06:44 PM
Sam_69Project

You shouldn't need a computer for that year, I don't think ford went to the AOD-E or 4r70w until around 95.
Thanks again! I feel relieved now, I’m planning on putting a carburetor on that engine do you recommend one?
Old 09-26-2018, 09:57 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

I ran a Edelbrock 1406 I believe, it's their 600cfm 4bbl. Other members might have a different recommendation, I hear the summit racing carbs aren't bad. Also if I remember correctly that water pump on your engine is reverse rotation and you will need a different water pump if you don't run the serpentine belt configuration.
Old 09-27-2018, 08:55 AM
bop11
2nd Gear Member

You will need to replace the oil pan as the 89 had a rear sump and the you need a front sump. That means you have to drill a hole in the timing chain cover for the dip stick. The boss for this is already there, just drill the correct size hole for the stick tube. Of course do it with the pan off.
I would suggest you get a new radiator while your at it with more cooling. Going from a 6 to an 8 you will need it. Get one with the top outlet on the driver side, that way you do not need to change the pump. However, look carefully at the timing chain cover at the back of the water pump since it carries water from the pump to the block. This is prone to rust from the inside. Since the engine is out, you probably want to change the timing chain cover and water pump anyway as they are cheap and maybe the damper as it gets old and the rubber breaks down. You have to pull it anyway to change the cover. With the new radiator you can keep all the components '89 and not worry about whether you need '89 or '69 part
Be aware that the change to a Granada front end means that the taper on the tie rods etc. are different from the '69. So should replacement be needed in the future, get parts for the Granada or get the adapters depending on how it was done by the previous owner.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:33 AM
Sam_69Project

Originally Posted by bop11
You will need to replace the oil pan as the 89 had a rear sump and the you need a front sump. That means you have to drill a hole in the timing chain cover for the dip stick. The boss for this is already there, just drill the correct size hole for the stick tube. Of course do it with the pan off.
I would suggest you get a new radiator while your at it with more cooling. Going from a 6 to an 8 you will need it. Get one with the top outlet on the driver side, that way you do not need to change the pump. However, look carefully at the timing chain cover at the back of the water pump since it carries water from the pump to the block. This is prone to rust from the inside. Since the engine is out, you probably want to change the timing chain cover and water pump anyway as they are cheap and maybe the damper as it gets old and the rubber breaks down. You have to pull it anyway to change the cover. With the new radiator you can keep all the components '89 and not worry about whether you need '89 or '69 part
Be aware that the change to a Granada front end means that the taper on the tie rods etc. are different from the '69. So should replacement be needed in the future, get parts for the Granada or get the adapters depending on how it was done by the previous owner.
ok thanks so much will do that. Also if I were to buy the radiator of a 69 would that be ok? Because I feel it would be easier to buy the right size instead of adapting one.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:34 AM
Sam_69Project

I ran a Edelbrock 1406 I believe, it's their 600cfm 4bbl. Other members might have a different recommendation, I hear the summit racing carbs aren't bad. Also if I remember correctly that water pump on your engine is reverse rotation and you will need a different water pump if you don't run the serpentine belt configuration.
alright I will check it out!
Old 09-27-2018, 01:12 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

Originally Posted by bop11
That's right I forgot about the oil pan and sump. He will have to change the pump if he doesn't run the serpentine setup because a fox body uses a reverse rotation water pump. Finding a radiator that will fit that is drivers side outlet will be a little difficult as well since most aftermarket mustang parts suppliers only sell the passenger outlet.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What are common diff. Swaps on a 69 mustang? Help please