Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

289 Rebuild (WHAT PARTS?)

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 07:06 PM
FilippoJr

Lightbulb 289 Rebuild (WHAT PARTS?)

Thanks in advance for all the helpful comments.

I am going to do a rebuild on my 65’ coupes 289 4 barrel. I am confident in tear down and build up, the only thing I want to double check are the parts that will be going in. I want to make sure they all work well together. The goal for the engine is strictly longevity, this will be a daily driver, 18k miles per year. Stock horsepower and torque would work perfectly fine for my application, with a few added horses where it makes sense. I am looking for someone to give me a good list of parts that will work well together and run smooth for my street application, also because this is a pretty stock build I am looking for a BUDGET BUILD UP! Basically all parts aside from my original 1M Crankshaft are being replaced, the block and heads are staying, and the oil pan and intake manifold are staying. Carberator, valvetrain, and all other parts are the items I am looking to match. Thank you!
Old 12-12-2018, 07:22 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FilippoJr
Thanks in advance for all the helpful comments.

I am going to do a rebuild on my 65’ coupes 289 4 barrel. I am confident in tear down and build up, the only thing I want to double check are the parts that will be going in. I want to make sure they all work well together. The goal for the engine is strictly longevity, this will be a daily driver, 18k miles per year. Stock horsepower and torque would work perfectly fine for my application, with a few added horses where it makes sense. I am looking for someone to give me a good list of parts that will work well together and run smooth for my street application, also because this is a pretty stock build I am looking for a BUDGET BUILD UP! Basically all parts aside from my original 1M Crankshaft are being replaced, the block and heads are staying, and the oil pan and intake manifold are staying. Carberator, valvetrain, and all other parts are the items I am looking to match. Thank you!
Need to know, if possible, how many miles are on the engine. Then, that pretty much tells how deeply to look: bottoms of valve lifters: should be slightly convexed, look with a good straightedge. If FLAT, or concave, replace lifters (assuming they are quiet now.

Camshaft: Examine lobes for wear, galling, pitting. Check lobe lift if possible. If they are close to spec, ALL 16, use old camshaft. However, ALWAYS replace camshaft bearings in the block.

ALWAYS replace the oil pump.

Check condition and diameter of all crankshaft journals. Check all connecting rods for TWIST. Check cylinder bores for wear and out of round. Check pistons for wear. Always replace rings. One of the best used to be Perfect Circle 2-in-1, if still available, by Dana Corp. Had molybdenum top ring insert. Last forever, almost.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:23 PM
FilippoJr

@imp Thank you for the advice. I plan on getting the block bare, new lifters regardless of the condition the old ones are in, my budget isn’t limited to the amount of parts, I just don’t need performance parts. I like the 1M Crankshaft so that will stay, but the camshaft will be slightly upgraded from stock, and I need parts that go well together. I think I will try and look for parts that I think will go together that are in budget and post them so people get the idea. I’m looking for someone that knows of a good 289 build up.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:08 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

the camshaft will be slightly upgraded from stock,
Exactly what do you mean by "upgraded"?

Old 12-13-2018, 08:10 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

Stock horsepower and torque would work perfectly fine for my application,
This is not what you said in your cam thread. The cam i posted will not rev as far as a stock cam.

What is your rear gear ratio?

Old 12-13-2018, 08:11 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

Drill a .020" hole in the left front lifter oil galley plug with the plug out. This will oil the cam gears.