The C4 Transmission mystery leak - MustangForums.com

Go Back  MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > Classic Mustangs (Tech)
Reload this Page >

The C4 Transmission mystery leak

Notices
Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

The C4 Transmission mystery leak

Old 01-18-2019, 08:48 AM
Chester_Kaup

Default The C4 Transmission mystery leak

I have a 1966 mustang with a C4 automatic with a transmission leak that I cannot figure out.I let the car warm up, check the fluid level and correct if necessary. I then check under the car while idling in park and drive for leaks. All is dry. I will then take the car for a drive and bring it back into the garage. I then check for leaks and everything is dry. The next morning there is a puddle of transmission fluid under the car.I have tried about every pan gasket and gasket sealer known to modern man. My procedure is to clean the mating surfaces and dry them. I also make sure the pan flange is flat. I then install the pan and tighten the bolts to the recommended torque.When I inspect the outside of the transmission after it leaks it is dry around the case fill dipstick, transmission modulator, shifter shaft and overflow tube.Is there somewhere other than the pan it might be leaking from?
Old 01-19-2019, 01:57 AM
Gun Jam

what about power steering?
Old 01-21-2019, 11:06 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chester_Kaup View Post
I have a 1966 mustang with a C4 automatic with a transmission leak that I cannot figure out.I let the car warm up, check the fluid level and correct if necessary. I then check under the car while idling in park and drive for leaks. All is dry. I will then take the car for a drive and bring it back into the garage. I then check for leaks and everything is dry. The next morning there is a puddle of transmission fluid under the car.I have tried about every pan gasket and gasket sealer known to modern man. My procedure is to clean the mating surfaces and dry them. I also make sure the pan flange is flat. I then install the pan and tighten the bolts to the recommended torque.When I inspect the outside of the transmission after it leaks it is dry around the case fill dipstick, transmission modulator, shifter shaft and overflow tube.Is there somewhere other than the pan it might be leaking from?
Cracked transmission case, worst scenario.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:17 AM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Something has to be wet where the leak is originating from. Front pump seal? Extension housing?

I don't know what your driveway looks like, but if you're parking it inside the garage, you should have a reasonably flat surface for leaking fluid to drop straight down.You should have been able to narrow down the general area by now, just by looking at where it's dripping on the ground. Slide some cardboard underneath there if you need a fresh surface to watch where puddles to start.