Radiator with a slow leak - Repair or Replace? - MustangForums.com

Go Back  MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > Classic Mustangs (Tech)
Reload this Page >

Radiator with a slow leak - Repair or Replace?

Notices
Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Radiator with a slow leak - Repair or Replace?

Old 02-17-2019, 04:59 PM
Scott40talbot

Default Radiator with a slow leak - Repair or Replace?

Somewhat of a simple question. I have a slow leak on the upper seam of the radiator. Is there an easy fix, or should I replace it? Thanks
Old 02-17-2019, 05:43 PM
Gun Jam

Im in the same boat. I found that it kind of stopped leaking after a while. I guess enough crap built up around the leak site that it partly self sealed.

It should be replaced is the obvious answer but in my case its a 500 dollar radiator thats less than 3 years old. I have a digital real time temp gauge with 1/10th degree precision by Aurber instruments with audible warning that comes on when temp is below or above a custom (set by user) range. I daily drive my car and without that audible warning on a precision gauge I would NOT dice roll that engine on a small water leak. because I forget to keep adding water and the change in water level plays hell on the electric fan temp probe causing it to start late and it gets worse as it gets lower.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:46 PM
Scott40talbot

Originally Posted by Gun Jam View Post
Im in the same boat. I found that it kind of stopped leaking after a while. I guess enough crap built up around the leak site that it partly self sealed.

It should be replaced is the obvious answer but in my case its a 500 dollar radiator thats less than 3 years old. I have a digital real time temp gauge with 1/10th degree precision by Aurber instruments with audible warning that comes on when temp is below or above a custom (set by user) range. I daily drive my car and without that audible warning on a precision gauge I would NOT dice roll that engine on a small water leak. because I forget to keep adding water and the change in water level plays hell on the electric fan temp probe causing it to start late and it gets worse as it gets lower.
Thanks Gun Jan, Iwhile i was hoping for a different answer, you right.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:13 AM
08'MustangDude
5th Gear Member

I had a small pisser leak in the side tank of my former '06 Liberty. I sanded it around the
area to put some bite in the plastic, put JB WaterWeld on it, let it set, never leaked again...
Traded it in 6-months later, still wasn't leaking...
Old 02-18-2019, 07:21 PM
Scott40talbot

Thanks, thatís the answer I wanted. Sand it and seal it.
Saving miney!!