Notices
Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

My new 66 Mustang

Old 07-02-2019, 08:00 PM
jack450

Lightbulb My new 66 Mustang

So I bought a 66 Mustang and I have plans to modernize it a bit,It's a stock 6cyl 200 with a 3-speed. I'm trying to upgrade most of it's components over time as I have access to a workshop for free. One of the main things that I'm trying to switch out is the transmission, that 3-speed is not ideal for where I live(Fort Polk, Louisiana...there's a ton of hills on post). Looking for recommendation on where and what to buy for a transmission, I see a lot of T5 transmission for the 66 but this is my first time working on a classic mustang. I'm not trying to restore it, I'm trying to enhance it as this will be my daily driver on base so AC, suspension, power steering, fuel mileage is what I'm looking at. I have no A/C so...that's big on my list as Louisiana is nothing like California and tends to be moist... oh and I've anyone have tips or a direction on how to muffle or dampen the amount of noise coming from the engine. There's a ton of heat and sound pushing through the firewall and it can be distracting when you're driving.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:58 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

I had a t5 behind mine and my grandfather had a t5 behind his as well, great transmissions to put behind the 6cyl.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:58 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

The best cure I found for the firewall / floor heat is to pull up the carpeting and lay down a nice thick layer of Dynamat or its equivalent. The thicker the better. Pulling the door panels and putting a couple pieces of that rubberized insulation on the door skin, and on the wheel wells in the trunk will also quiet things down considerably.

I went with Classic Auto Air out of Tampa when I installed AC in my car and I have no complaints. That said, I installed the AC before I took care of the heat issue and it was like pissing against the wind because you really need to stop the heat before you realize any real benefit from the AC system.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:51 PM
jack450

How's was yours on take off? Mine is slow like a turtle and can be worrisome when on a hill. I've tested taking off on second gear but it feels like I'm putting too much pressure on transmission. I'm not sure if I just got spoiled by todays manuals standards or there's something up.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:18 AM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

Most likely you're just use to the gear ratios in the new transmissions and these 6cyls were rated for like 120hp back in the 60s too. Its been so long since I drove mine with the stock 3 speed that I can't remember much about it, I don't remember having any issues starting off. I feel like the T5 really changes the driving experience, my grandfathers 66 with a t5 is so smooth to drive, but he also upgraded the clutch to a hydraulic setup.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:28 AM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

T5 is the way to go. And, if adding the t5 you can lower the rear gear ratio a little too and that will help big time. But, if you do that and are also planning in a bigger engine in the future, i would recommend changing the entire rear end out to a 5 lug 8.8 or ford nine inch. That way you can specify what gear you want and it will also be much stronger.