Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Late Model motor Swap Into Classic

Old 11-07-2005, 11:25 PM
seksikid

Default Late Model motor Swap Into Classic

I've been reading around and it seems the opinion around here is "I'd rather keep it classic" which is understandable but I still need to know. What kind of work are we talkin about when it comes to dropping a 99+ 4.6 GT motor into a '67 body?
Old 11-07-2005, 11:50 PM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Late Model motor Swap Into Classic

Not too much, because basically, a 4.6 is a 289. Just hooking up the more technology advanced equipment might give some problems.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:27 AM
seksikid

Well that's a relief. Do you know of any past posts or someone who has done something like this before?
Old 11-08-2005, 05:54 AM
Mustangood
2nd Gear Member

why not put in a 5.0? it would be more close to the size and weight of a classic 289/302., and i would think the heads would take up more space on the 4.6 cuz its ohc. but since its a classic u dont have to worry about putting all the modern smog equipment on
Old 11-08-2005, 07:42 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

I would think you would have to replace everything from the front of the engine to the rear pumpkin. To include the engine, mounts, tranny with the appropriate bell housing, and the drive shaft. The tranny mounts would also have to be replaced. Even then, it would be a very tight fit if you wanted headers, unless you modded the front end with the Mustang II front. I agree about the 5.0....Much easier to make things work without all the electronics.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:49 AM
gta289
3rd Gear Member

i do know that the 4.6 engines have different air intakes, and have not seen one sucessfully put into a early stang where the passenger shocj tower needed to be cut. I would say go for the swap, but why not just build up a 289/302, with fuel injection? you wouldnt need to put a computer for on e thing in the car, and if your not a wizard with wiring.... IMO dont attempt this task!
Old 11-08-2005, 11:26 AM
hutchamatic
2nd Gear Member

It is a tight fit. It will work in the 67 though, A little minor trimming will be required. Go for it. That ride will be good for around 25 mpg and good power.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:27 AM
stangrr66
1st Gear Member

I agree with all these guys, if your swapping out the engine, then go carburated.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:24 PM
TBIAgent69
1st Gear Member

From what I've seen, it's a pretty big undertaking. I don't see a reason to argue a point about keeping the car all original, because if you compare an original mustang to a new car, it prettymuch sucks in respects to handling, braking, steering, ride quality, etc etc. Honestly, IMHO, unless you want it just for the sheer unique aspect of it, it's not worth it. The 4.6 is heavier, bigger, and will be somewhat difficult to shoehorn in to a stang. I've seen it done, but that's on higher end show cars. You're looking at swapping in the mustang 2 suspension and steering setup, changing the crossmember to clearance the oil pan, removing the shock towers to clear the motor, and installing the EFI. It's really up to you. Not impossible, but don't let anyone tell you it's going to be easy.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:49 PM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

Well, I was thinking about the 4.6 being the same as a 289. I didn't think you'd really have to mod the front to make it work, but i was just going out on a limb there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Late Model motor Swap Into Classic