MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   Classic Mustangs (Tech) (https://mustangforums.com/forum/classic-mustangs-tech-16/)
-   -   66 coupe... (https://mustangforums.com/forum/classic-mustangs-tech/76898-66-coupe.html)

351foxstang 11-18-2005 11:24 PM

66 coupe...

hi guys,
my dad has the opportunity to buy a 1966 coupe for 200$, its a non running 6-cylinder automatic. i figure since both my brother and i go to school for automotive stuff, he being auto tech and me being auto body, we could probably restore it once im done with my 67'. ive got a good idea on what to check for considering rust and other body stuff. but for 200$, i figure it should be in pretty crappy shape. ive only seen it at night and all of the external panels look solid. how far gone is too far for 200$? keeping in mind we enjoy doing this kind of stuff and my brother is itching to build a fairly strong 302 with probably a c4 behind it so my mom will still be able to drive when done. i think ive got an older 9" axle in my yard, just havent taken it apart yet to check.
thanks for any ideas you guys have,
carl

Gregs68 11-18-2005 11:29 PM

RE: 66 coupe...

sounds like a good deal... keep in mind, EVERYTHING can be replaced on these old stangs. between you and you brother, your dad should have a nice stang.

BTW, if you cant find a use for that 9". Send it my way and i might be able to find a use for it :D

351foxstang 11-19-2005 01:44 AM

nice try on the 9", but ive only got 2 as it is lol. need atleast 1 more for now to keep us occupied. thanks for the info, i suppose you can never have too many stangs, this will be #3, although the fox may not count yet.
carl

Gregs68 11-19-2005 02:22 AM

lol, it was worth a shot.. oh yeah, the fox counts. im a big fan of the fox bodies :)

351foxstang 11-19-2005 02:26 AM

yea the fox is only a six banger, but i still managed to find trouble with it when she was on the road...
carl

Soaring 11-19-2005 08:28 AM

If nothing else, you will have a cheap donor car for body parts. Charles could use some right now. :D

THUMPIN455 11-19-2005 10:09 AM

These days no Mustang is too far gone, especially if you like the car and want to drive it. That I6 car could be updated with an injected 5.0 an OD trans and a kick butt suspension. Sure you may not be able to sell it for what you have in it, but you still would have a great running/driving car that doesnt look like the new ones that appear to have been designed when someone dropped the modeling clay.. "oops.. hey, put some wheels right here, and a door there and yeah almost looks good"

I paid much less than $200 for the current project, and if you want to I am sure you could build a Mustang from mail order parts. All aftermarket. I say buy it or tell me where it is so I can have it...lol