Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Disk brake conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 01:37 PM
Zombiebrew
1st Gear Member

Default Disk brake conversion

Hello all!!!!

I've found a wheel conversion kit that will take me from my 5 lug manual drums to 5 lug manual disk brakes. It's pretty cheap and i'm really excited. But i have a question.....the master cylinder.

The one in my car has been upgraded to a duel well already and i don't want to replace it if i don't have too.

I called a guy that sells the kit and he said i better just get a new one because i'll need a new proportioning valve. I already have a line lock (turn valve setup) so can i just use that to adjust the brakes? If not how about just getting a new proportioning valve on the master cylinder i already have???

What are my options?
Old 02-22-2013, 03:34 PM
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

I would call CSRP and ask them to sell you what you need.

Also, use the 4 piston KH style brakes since they were what your car would have had originally (Shelbys etc..) and they do not mess up the track width or use an over-sized hub center. I have seen threads in the past where people found a "Cheaper" way to do disk brakes only to discover that the wheels they had no longer work, and the track width of the car has been changed causing a whole new set of problems.

Last edited by Coupe; 02-22-2013 at 03:37 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:58 AM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

The line lock valve (typically a ball valve) is only on/off. Operating it halfway closed will not act as a proportioning valve as it would only impede flow, not pressure. Find out what type of MC you have and figure out what the internal valve was set for. Then call the brake manufacturer to see if that setup will work. I agree with Coupe above about getting a quality brake set, they will last and you can sleep at night knowing that they aren't going to fail in the morning.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:39 PM
Diputado
2nd Gear Member

I second both of the previously posted opinions. Check...and then double-check...with the manufacturer/supplier of your kit to make sure your wheels will fit and your current spindles will work. I'm in that process right now, as I recently bought a '65 that a previous owner "converted" (or should I say "perverted") to front disc brakes using rear rotors from a '92 Stang and calipers off an Oldsmobile. All this with the factory single master cylinder and no proportioning valve. Talk about a mess...!!!! Now I've got to spend a bunch of bucks to straighten out this crap!

MAKE SURE TO DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME....!!!
Old 02-28-2013, 07:01 PM
SnowmanPA

Default Has anybody tried this kit?

Howdy folks!

I've found a disk brake conversion kit on eBay from a seller that has a good feedback rating, but I wanted to see if anybody on this forum has any experience with this particular kit and/or seller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-1968-19...cac91e&vxp=mtr

It seems that there are quite a number of sellers out there with kits of various designs. Naturally, we don't want to spend more than we have to, but we all know that you get what you pay for.

This seller also carries radiators and brakes for a wide variety of classic cars besides Mustangs.

Has anybody tried this kit?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:40 AM
Waffles
5th Gear Member

Just go to www.discbrakeswap.com and buy the CSRP kit. Dennis is a member here and a good guy. It's an excellent kit at an excellent price.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:06 AM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

Holy crap its Waffles.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:12 AM
Diputado
2nd Gear Member

Hmmmm...haven't seen or heard of this kit, but those calipers sure look pretty "lame" to me! I suggest you also check out the offerings from Average Joe Restorations (just Google the name), or Mustangs Unlimited, for maybe some better options that are not much more expensive.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:13 AM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

Forgot to add. +1 for CSRP kits.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:23 PM
Zombiebrew
1st Gear Member

Thanks everybody. I think i'll just wait a little while and get the CSRP.

Quick Reply: Disk brake conversion