Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Just bought a floor jack and jack stands -need some direction

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 06:08 PM
earlymustang
2nd Gear Member

Default Just bought a floor jack and jack stands -need some direction

I got tired of squeezing myself under the car so I went out and bought a floor jack and two stands (Husky) at the Home Depot today along w/2 bricks for the rear tires. I could use a little direction on where and how to use the stuff b/f I do something unsafe. I know to put the parking brake on, set the bricks behind the rear's but need to know where to set/place the jack b/f jacking up and where to place the stands (front and rear) on a 65 vert.

Also, is it safe to use stands on the front and rear at the same time?

I appreciate your feedback!
Old 02-20-2006, 06:14 PM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Just bought a floor jack and jack stands -need some direction

A 65 vet or convertable?
Old 02-20-2006, 06:17 PM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

If you are talking stangs. Put the floor jack under the center of the axel housing and the jack stand would go on the axel housing as far out to the end as you can get them. On the front there is a cross member the runs under the oil pan. Jack the front of the car up there. The jack stands will either go under the lower a arms or on the front frame rails depending if you want the front suspension loaded or unloaded.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:41 PM
earlymustang
2nd Gear Member

vert., sorry
Old 02-20-2006, 07:12 PM
Cogtx
3rd Gear Member

Just a quick note on the "bricks." Bricks have a tendency to crack and decay under pressure which may be a bit of a safety concern. Get a pair of tire chocks from AutoZone or Walmart or any favorite auto related store. Much safer to use, weigh less than bricks, and easier to store away. Just my 2 cents....have fun/be safe.

[IMG]local://upfiles/19071/E5BE8A82A4C944FFBFCC7B3392D69810.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-20-2006, 09:16 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Cogtx

Just a quick note on the "bricks." Bricks have a tendency to crack and decay under pressure which may be a bit of a safety concern. Get a pair of tire chocks from AutoZone or Walmart or any favorite auto related store. Much safer to use, weigh less than bricks, and easier to store away. Just my 2 cents....have fun/be safe.

[IMG]local://upfiles/19071/E5BE8A82A4C944FFBFCC7B3392D69810.jpg[/IMG]
Chocks are a good investment, but not entirely necessary. I use some pieces of 2X4's to put under the rear tires while I jack up the front, one side at a time. In reverse gear or in Park, the rear will be locked anyway. I put the jack in the usual place under the doors where the notch is, then jack it up until I can get a jack stand under the front frame rail. I repeat that process on the other side, then on the rear frame rails. I replaced my rear leaf springs awhile ago, and had 4 jack stands on the frame rails, and the car was solid. Completely safe. I banged, sawed, jerked, etc., and she didn't move a tad.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:33 PM
1965MustangFastback
2nd Gear Member

I would go out and buy your self another two jack stands it’s a lot more safe doing it with four jack stand vs. two of them.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:19 AM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

I considering not to jack up my stang on the frame rails. If you notice it kinda bends them alittle bit.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:31 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 6mustang6

I considering not to jack up my stang on the frame rails. If you notice it kinda bends them alittle bit.
If the frame rails bend when you put the jack stands under them to support the car, then your frame rails are in bad shape and need to be replaced.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:34 AM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

oh........ they just kinda depress........., and even if they do need to be replaced, i cant do it, and cant afford to have it done. I think they are ok, they dont really bend, they just push upwards.

Quick Reply: Just bought a floor jack and jack stands -need some direction