Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Repair to a convertible top

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 01:58 PM
2000gtfun

Default RE: Repair to a convertible top

Anyone know of a shop in orlando? I have duct tape over the tear now, but would like the cheapest way to fix it.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:34 AM
PurpleDiamonds

Hi,
I just got a 2000 convertible, I have a little stab in my top. I called my uncle (perfectionist that has a body shop in Spokane, WA) he told me to use 2 part epoxy & a little patch.
I got creative, since I am a girl....lol... & I glued a little rhinestone lady bug on the hole. I live in Vegas & it has endured 112 degree heat (black top) & so far has not came off. I am going to run it threw the car wash in a few days. If you have a longer tear I would suggest maybe avinyl patch & then go over it with some sort of embordery patch from a fabric or craft store?
Cindy Sue
Old 08-10-2007, 04:42 PM
Redstang55

That's a good idea, actually. I have a small hole on back left side of mine, it doensn't leak at all, but it is visible. So did you glue the lady bug to the patch or straight to the hole? I'm thinking if I get a decorative patch of some sort nad glue it to my little tear that might be cute . oh and how did the car was go?
ORIGINAL: PurpleDiamonds

Hi,
I just got a 2000 convertible, I have a little stab in my top. I called my uncle (perfectionist that has a body shop in Spokane, WA) he told me to use 2 part epoxy & a little patch.
I got creative, since I am a girl....lol... & I glued a little rhinestone lady bug on the hole. I live in Vegas & it has endured 112 degree heat (black top) & so far has not came off. I am going to run it threw the car wash in a few days. If you have a longer tear I would suggest maybe avinyl patch & then go over it with some sort of embordery patch from a fabric or craft store?
Cindy Sue
Old 09-11-2007, 10:45 PM
scarslilpyro
2nd Gear Member

I need to repair my top also.

But I really don't care about the looks too much, heck, I drove around with blue painters tape to school last week.

I just want something that will last for at least a year or 2, and fairly cheap.

My dad said that they paid about $2000 - $3000 to do it themselves, the person who had it before me that is, so I'm wondering if it's a special material.

Car audio is more important to me then looks.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:22 PM
PurpleDiamonds

Sorry for the delay in responding. I glued it directly to the top. Be sure to make sure what ever you pick is large enough to cover the hole & make a little "puddle" of glue around it. It is still on the top& has survived many automatic car washings.(It's just way to hot in Vegas to wash a car by hand in the summer, the soapy water drys before you can rinse it). It's rather fun to watch people try to pick it up off my top or tell me something is sitting on the top...lol. Did you glues something on yours yet? If so what did you pick?
Cindy