MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   Convertible Tech (https://mustangforums.com/forum/convertible-tech-78/)
-   -   parade with girls :) (https://mustangforums.com/forum/convertible-tech/333698-parade-with-girls.html)

99GTvert 08-19-2007 12:26 PM

parade with girls :)

Question....how much damage can be done if a girl (or 2) were to sit on the top of the back seat..well on top of the actual convertible stuff?

ssrc76 08-19-2007 02:23 PM

RE: parade with girls :)

My kids sit on the back of the seat at the drive in, but there not that heavy. No damage so far!

99GTvert 08-19-2007 10:51 PM

coolio. I was just wondering some 'what-ifs' and I didn't want to say no to them unless there was some real damage.

SKAR 08-19-2007 11:27 PM

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]

thewheelman 08-20-2007 07:52 AM

Depends on the size of the girl (s)! My kids were the most popular guys in school around homecoming parade time, 'cause Dad always had a sharp convertible that could carry the queen & her court in style. I must have done 100 parades with 2 different Mustangs and my Sebring convert. Then both the boys got convertibles and I think at least one parade, we had all 3 in it! What a (small town) hoot!

Most riders won't do any damage, of course, you don't want them bouncing up and down on it. I would always lay a quilt or some sort of padding on top of my folded top or boot for them to sit on. Keeps the sequines (?) out of the top......I usually limited it to 3 girls, but like little girl dance teams, you can put 4 or 5 on there if you want. Just watch the weight....

Have fun!

05RedHead 08-20-2007 08:15 AM

No!!!

Lol. If they sit on the back of the seat, that should be okay - but really, I wouldn't let them sit on the actual top (I'm assuming that it works like the S197's, that there is a "boot" kinda created by part of the top when the top is down...) for risk of breaking the rails or really any part of the frame. Just an FYI, it's like $2,000 for a new frame...just the frame - not the top - not the labor to put your top over the frame...

thewheelman 08-21-2007 11:28 AM

Yeah, my wife reminded me that we used to wrap a piece of plywood in a quilt (no splinters in girls, no scuffs on car) and let it bridge the gap between the seat back and the top well edges......worked great,

Have fun!

99GTvert 08-25-2007 12:37 AM

bump?

HDFINDER47 09-30-2007 09:46 PM

Talked with the body shop manager of my local Ford dealer about this: He said that he's had 3 verts of the '05-'08 vintage to come in requesting warranty repairs on top frames damaged by people standing (WTF?) or sitting on them and all 3 were refused by Ford. That being said, I saw 4 such verts in a parade last Saturday with children and adults sitting on them - but there is no way to know what the long term affects will be. I will try to reach Ford Customer Serviceconcerning this since it makes no sense to me to make such a good lookin' automobile and not make it so that purty girls can ride on them in parades!

05 Cayuse 10-06-2007 12:46 PM

I just had my 2005 vert in the homecoming parade last night and I filled the back seat with two sets of cushions from my sofas to within a foot of the top. The prince and princess sat on these with their feet on the floor. It raised them up high enough to wave to everyone without risking damage to the top. It worked great! No one's going to offer to pay for a broken $2500 top after the parade, so play it safe.