Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

87 Convertible popping sound (what next?...)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 07:03 PM
chromatic_chic

Default 87 Convertible popping sound (what next?...)

So we're entering convertible season, and sure enough my top starts acting up.
I was closing it the other day and heard a loud plastic pop sound, almost like a piece of plastic popped off of something in the inner workings and may have ricocheted off something else. Just what I wanted to hear.
A few four letter words later, and I'm worried the top might not retract again.

The next time I put the top down, it worked, but after hitting the half-way mark, it fell back pretty sharply.
When putting the top back up, it again, hits the half-way up (straight up and down) and just stops.
It's easy enough to pull it down the rest of the way, but I'm wondering what the hell happened.

Just a few days later, and now my drivers side rear window won't work either. Just one fin stuck up in the air. I have to laugh, but I know this is gonna be expensive.
When I looked down into the mechanism to try and figure out what broke, BOTH sides appeared to have fresh, bright yellow plastic showing at the base of the hydraulic pump where the metal rod fits into the cylinder.

Any ideas? Does a gal have a chance in hell of getting this fixed for under $1000?

Thanks,

Dana