Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

calling 94-98 vert guys, top cylinder replacement question...

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 11:45 AM
stackz

Default calling 94-98 vert guys, top cylinder replacement question...

the top on my 95 gt vert that I bought hasnt worked in ages according to the previous owner. I pulled the back seat as well as the inner quarter trim panels and the mach 460 speaker system and started troubleshooting.

I added in 3/4 quart of dextron II fluid to the pump as it was actually functioning when I would use the switch. So after filling/bleeding the system for 2 hours, the top actually started working somewhat but I noticed out of both cylinders when I would stop and hold it I could see bubbling out of the tops of the cylinders (just a little) so I assumed the cylinders are bad.

anyway, had to manually pull the top up in order to get at the star bolts at the top of them which sucked because it forced all the fluid I put in the system...out and into the rear seat floorboard area

but here's my question. I pulled a cylinder/motor assembly out of a 96 v6 vert in the u-pull yard and on that motor as well, it states to refill with dextron II fluid but when I pulled the hose nuts off on the top cylinders on that setup, I got a clear liquid that smells like hydraulic fluid or brake fluid. what should I do about this?? should I try to find a way to drain the cylinders so I dont mix two fluids??
Old 06-24-2008, 07:42 AM
stackz

Default RE: calling 94-98 vert guys, top cylinder replacement question...

alright well I went ahead and did it yesterday anyway. before I switched out everything I just set the other pump/cylinderset in the backseat area with the cylinders on the floorboard and the pump kinda perched on top of my pump. then I hooked the pump to the wiring and flipped the switch and both cylinders went up and down without leaking so I swapped everything out and the new stuff works great and doesnt leak. Even though it had clear fluid in it, since the pump said I could use dextronII fluid, I went ahead and topped it off since it was a bit low. didnt see any problems and now for the first time in what I think is 8 years, the top goes up/down on it's own yay!