Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hydraulic lift rebuild kit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 02:53 PM
chromatic_chic

Default Hydraulic lift rebuild kit?

Got a good deal on a top install after buying the new top online, $400 for the install- (yay!) Found the guy on craigslist.
The bad news? My top mechanism was working before I handed the car over to him, now it's not.
You can hear the motor working, but it only lifts the top about 4 inches
I manually tried to get it down, and it doesn't seem to fold right, and wont go all the way down.

He took a look at it today and needs to find the gauges to determine whether it's the motor or the hydraulics.
Those new cylinders are EXPENSIVE! He says he can rebuild them, I just need to find the kit online. Maybe I've been using the wrong keywords to find one. I just want to know about how much money I'm looking at here, depending on the situation.

Given the situation, I don't think I'm the one responsible for this problem in the first place. The top WAS in working order when he got the car. Now something is seriously F'd up. Also, any idea how this could have happened when someone is just installing a new top? Manhandling the frame or something else?

Yes, I've learned my lesson, and I should have just stuck to the age old rule of good, fast, & cheap. You can only have 2.

I'm looking for an '87 mustang lx convertible hydraulic lift rebuild kit, and hating that there's only a few weeks of summer left, I have a brand new top that doesn't leak, but it doesn't work either. [X(]
Old 08-07-2008, 06:29 AM
ewgoetz
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Hydraulic lift rebuild kit?

You should beable to get it down manualy......you make sure nothing is obstructing it going down? It is possible that the new top is tight and the hydrulics dont have the pressue to get the new one down now.