Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After accidentr & repair the top did not work so...

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 11:21 AM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

Default After accidentr & repair the top did not work so...

I looked into it myself and found that the pump was not full of fluid so I have added and so far it is working. There is however a leak somewhere as I smell oil but I think the shop used something besides ATF. Now I am ab out to check for leaks and tighten all of the fittings. Any suggestions for this as I have had 3 back surgeries and getting into the trunk would be uncomfortable. right now the back seat is out, top and bottom. Can I get at all of the foittings from the back seat area? Haynes has nothing.
Also it calls for Dexron-II but will any grade of Dexron work? What is the cost of a top anyways, installed? I heard a grand, really?
Old 09-07-2008, 01:57 AM
crusin92red5.0
3rd Gear Member

if you had three back surgeries, i would chance having another one. i know you can access the pump from the back seat so the fitting there won't be a problem. i'm pretty sure there are lines running to each hydraulic shock on each side by the fenderwell. i've never really looked though. let us know if you find the problem and where it was, so we'll know for the future.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:31 AM
ewgoetz
3rd Gear Member

Easiest access is from the back seat.
the lines run from the middle to the sides.
you can take off the side rear kicker pannels to access the hydralics that move the top up and down. If you smell fluid back there it is possible the piston seals may be leaking. ATF used to be called Dextron III, So ATF will work fine.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:59 AM
marton01

Like the guy said, you can take it all out from the back seat. If you already took out the seat then you did the hardest part.
Mine is a 1992 & i had to change the pump and both side cylinders in 2002 & again this year.

The pump just lifts out; it sits on sort of rubber spikes that you just pull out.
Before you start you have to undo the 2 pipes; best to lay lots of paper under them to soak up the fluid.

The cylinders sit at the sides behind the panels that have the rear speakers. There are just a couple of screws holding the panels. When you lift them out you see there are a couple of plastic bits that guide the front seat belts. You can remove these to completely remove the panels for more working room.

The side cylinders also pull out; you have to look carefully to see how the pivot is fixed at the top of the cylinder. I think you just have to undo where the rod from the cylinder attaches to the top. You undo that arrangement & then pull the cylinder up & if I remember correctly then twist it & slide it down & out at the bottom.

Good luck

Marton