Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got my '89 Vert - LOVE it but....

Old 09-08-2008, 11:47 AM
orcusomega

Default Just got my '89 Vert - LOVE it but....

... it has a few "Issues" (we'll call them opportunities for upgrades).

First off, I have been building Jeeps for the last 8 years, so things that don't work are generally OK on a Jeep - in the case of my Mustang, thats not the case.

I got a 1989 GT Convertible for $1800 w/ 129,000 on the clock... I got it for an around-town car as I build it up, but there are a few things that require immediate attention. You comments are welcome!

1) Brakes - They suck, so I am gonna replace them all - master cyl, hoses, rotors, drums, shoes, pads, and replace the fluid (there is some contamination). My first cut is to use OEM parts just for the cost, but I am open to suggestions. I am not gonna be racing it, just having fun

2) The top is SHOT - mechanically it goes up and down pretty smoothly but the canvas has seen better days. Can anyone recommend a good replacement source? I am considering 50resto.com's kit, looks complete, and I only need the canvas (not the back window necessarily).

3) My rear windows are fubar. They don't go up and down, and they certainly are not rgid - seems like the tracks are off, or whatever. I have not had the chance to pull them out to inspect - but any pointers would be appreciated.

4) Headlights are clouded (I know, a common problem apparently). I am leaning towards one-piece replacements for about $130 for the set. Again, nothing fancy, just has to work.

5) The weatherstriping needs to be replaced - and I have found the kit at 50resto.com as well. It doesn't look too hard, just time consuming. Any recommendations or comments?

Appreciate any help you can provide to the noob - I promise I'll get the hang of this yet

Bob
Old 09-08-2008, 01:34 PM
crusin92red5.0
3rd Gear Member

as for the brakes i would upgrade to the 5 lug conversion, bigger rotors, bigger calipers.. they do suck IMO

i'm not sure where to get a top, as i will need to look soon as well. 50resto seems good

as for the quarter windows, check the motor and see if its stll spinning. i know mine goes down and then struggles to go back up. i've been told to replace the plastic gear inside the motor because the wear and brake.

there are kits out there that supposely buff the cloudiness out of the lens. i've never used it but it might be worth a shot if you have access to a pretty good buffer. if that doesn't work buy new ones

and the weatherstripping, maybe i've been lucky cuz mine hasen't fallen apart and still looks strong and keeps water out. except i am missing the weatherstripping the seals the top part of the windsheild, i can't find it anywhere, but i also don't ever drive the stang in the rain. i would think 50resto is your best bet, especially if your buying the top too.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:17 PM
ewgoetz
3rd Gear Member

For the brakes You can upgrade to the 5 lug also you can go to this site to upgrade to larger brakes and rear disc brakes as well: http://mjbobbitt.home.comcast.net/~m...n95brakes.html

The rear windows are ususaly glues in and your best bet is to get the whole kit with the window.

I have head or some people taking very fine sand paper and sanding the lens lightly than hiting it with a polishing wheel to clear them not sure of the exact procedure but if you post about the lights in the 5.0 area I am sure you will get a better and exact procedure to clean them up.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:47 PM
WhiteSN95

Is the top just dirty or worn out? If it's just dirty I recommend using Mr. Clean Magic Eraser to clean it off. (Make sure you rinse it after) If the top is shot, I got my new one at DallasMustang.com for about $250 plus shipping. (Thats without the rear window) I was lucky enough to have friends and family with the know-how so I didn't have to pay an installation cost.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:12 PM
silverbullitt42836
1st Gear Member

As far as the headlights go I have used Meguiar's PlastX on my brother's Focus headlight covers and it worked fairly well. We just hand applied it like waxing and it removed a lot of the scratches (it didn't look like new but pretty close), but if the headlight plastic is badly crazed I would go with new.

Also, I have bought a weatherstripping kit from foxresto.com which has worked out well so far though I haven't had time to install it all.

Dan
Old 09-27-2008, 06:46 PM
Chuckles_5.0
2nd Gear Member

First off if you replace your sucky brakes with OEM replacement parts...you will still have sucky brakes. (the brakes should be upgraded if it was the only thing you ever planned to upgrade on the car. lol, they suck.)

You dont have to do five lug if your just having fun, plenty of people stick with the four. But you should upgrade the brakes all the way around, (disks in the back) I've heard the Cobra brakes work really well (otherwise the wouldn't be cobra brakes ;p ) I haven't gotten around to this myself but if your replacing them you might as well put in somthing worth having.

Is the window glass or plastic? (cause mine is plastic and it zips in and as far as I've seen the glass ones are glued like ewgoetz said, but the fabric it is glued to is zippered to the actual top. If it is plastic replace it cause if it don't look like ****e now it will. (I'm going glass when I get a new top.)

Go with the 50 resto weather stripping kit
Make sure the headlights are made to resist that fog effect.

motors are shot in your quarters. they aren't that expensive but I think they are a bit of a pain to get to some of the bolts and such. (haven't done it myself so I don't know)