Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Troubleshoot my Top issue?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 01:47 PM
crusin92red5.0
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ketis
my top doesnt work either,

i took out the whole system and tried working it, the motor spins and the hydrolics work, but VERY slowly and do not have enough torque to move the top..

it is filled with fluid but it doesnt leak.

any ideas?
so the motor works, but just slowly. i would say its a weak motor, but thats just my 2 cents
Old 02-23-2009, 03:40 PM
Ketis
2nd Gear Member

the motor sounds like its spinning well, but the cylinders move very slowly
Old 02-23-2009, 04:35 PM
crusin92red5.0
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ketis
the motor sounds like its spinning well, but the cylinders move very slowly
sometime the gears in the motor were out and it sounds like its spining well but its barely catching. i've never taken one apart but if you think it can be done take a look at the gears
Old 03-20-2009, 11:07 PM
Bob01

Well a buddy of mine, was a little too aggressive loading my trunk and manage to push in the rear partition in a bit - after unloading, I was able to get a glimpse of the motor - doesn't seem loose (tried to wiggle it as previously suggested), didn't see any signs of leaking near it either.

Trying to remove my rear seat - and from the online references, it seems I just push it toward the back and I'll see some clips/screws? Im pushin' but it ain't budgin' :-p am I doing something wrong/not pushing hard enough?

Thanks,

Bob
Old 03-23-2009, 09:16 PM
Bob01

Well...managed to get the rear set bottom off - it was alot easier than I originally thought - the buttons where right there! ;-)

Anyway, haven't removed the seat back yet, but wow...under my seat is a freakin' mess - damp, full of dead leaves, staples, combs, pens - yuck....I took out what looks to be a sound dampener, to rinse off - it was really filthy...anyway...I can almost see directly to the hydraulics, and don't see/smell/feel any hydraulic fluid leaking from either side - it should feel and smell like motor oil? - its red right?

Tomorrow, I finish removing the rear seat back and plastic sides moulding, then visiting the local gas station to vacum all the crap under my seat :-p hopefully then can begin troubleshooting my top issues...
Old 03-24-2009, 03:23 PM
Bob01

Well - got the seat back off now...

Took a look at the motor - unplugged the rubber seal to check the fluid:

With the top down - the fluid looked to be just shy (about 1/8") below the hole
With the top up - the fluid looked to be about 1/4"-3/8" below the hole

With this much fluid - it should be ok? Its not like it was 1/2 full or near dry - didn't see any signs of leaks...haven't yet went to the auto store to pickup some mercon auto-trans fluid, wouldn't think 1/8" of missing fluid from a reservoir would cause such a problem?

Would this indicate, I need a new motor?

On a flip note - if I were to disconnect the hydraulics from the top - would the top be easy to raise by hand - like a miata (though Im sure clunkier)?

Thanks again,

Bob
Old 03-24-2009, 04:46 PM
scan1959
1st Gear Member

Bob,
I think you have a hydraulic fluid line or hydraulic cylinder problem. You won't be able to tell unless you release the headliner skirt that screws to the back inside of the convertible.

After unscrewing the torx screw, pull it out of the way(forward toward the 1/4 glass window), get a flashlight and look down at the lift cylinder and see if the cylinder looks like it has oily residue on it.

Sometimes the hydraulic fluid lines are the problem but most of the time it is a seal going out on the cylinder. It won't leak a great amount of fluid, but won't have enough of a seal to push the cylinder lift rod.

On another note, in our convertible top shop we usually figure on replacing both cylinders when we replace one. This might NOT be your problem though.

Good luck,
Scan
Old 03-31-2009, 12:18 AM
phils04gt
2nd Gear Member

Figured anything else out. What is the best way to remove the back seats to check it out?