Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car wash water sneaking in via weatherstripping...

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 07:16 PM
Jasoon
2nd Gear Member

Default Car wash water sneaking in via weatherstripping...

And of course, the 3 year warranty just went by.

The water is coming in where the windsheid, window, and convertible top meet.

Is replacing the weatherstripping the thing to do?
Old 05-29-2009, 05:24 PM
eastcoastoutlaw
1st Gear Member

Hi,

I have the same issue with my 05 vert. Everytime i go to the car wash water shoots in on the passenger side here the top meets the mindsheild and pasenger door. Did you ever figure out ho to fix this?

Thanks,
Old 05-31-2009, 03:35 AM
Topless Stang
2nd Gear Member

I have the same issue. I bought the car used and it leaked when I got it. The guy said convertibles are not built to sustain hurricane force winds, so a little leaking is normal...but I didn't believe him. I don't have leaks when it rains, so I let it slide. Did you guys find a way to fix it?
Old 05-31-2009, 08:54 PM
Jasoon
2nd Gear Member

There was a TSB on "mystery" water coming into the car, I printed it off and I'm going to take it into the dealer and see what he says.

As of yet, no solution nailed down...
Old 06-03-2009, 09:38 AM
eastcoastoutlaw
1st Gear Member

Let us know what the dealer says. I'm curious to see what they have to say.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:45 AM
jaiasmit
3rd Gear Member

This happened to me with my 06 vert also, but only if you go to one of the no-touch car washes. Other than that, no leaks. Keep in mind that those car washes are spraying tons of water at hundreds of miles per hour with a ton of pressure. It's going to leak!

Try using a soft brush wash instead (I'm sure some of the detailing guys while not like this). Better yet, hand wash it yourself.

The dealer's not going to be able to do anything to keep your vert from leaking in the no-touch car wash. Good luck.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:38 PM
eastcoastoutlaw
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the tip, but i get a leak even when i do wash her by hand.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:22 PM
jaiasmit
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by eastcoastoutlaw
Thanks for the tip, but i get a leak even when i do wash her by hand.
That's a problem. I don't think you should be getting a leak when washing by hand. Is the leak when you are spraying water directly on the seal where the windshield meets the top? Do you get a leak when it rains?
Old 06-03-2009, 03:04 PM
eastcoastoutlaw
1st Gear Member

It doesn't leak in the rain cause we had a heavy storm last night, and i had no leak. It only leaks when i wash the car. It does it when i spray the hose by the seal or pour water on it.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:17 AM
Topless Stang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jaiasmit
This happened to me with my 06 vert also, but only if you go to one of the no-touch car washes. Other than that, no leaks. Keep in mind that those car washes are spraying tons of water at hundreds of miles per hour with a ton of pressure. It's going to leak!

Try using a soft brush wash instead (I'm sure some of the detailing guys while not like this). Better yet, hand wash it yourself.

The dealer's not going to be able to do anything to keep your vert from leaking in the no-touch car wash. Good luck.
That's what I was thinking since it's the only time the car leaks. Living in an apartment stops me fromw ashing by hand and that particular no touch 'laser' wash gets my car cleaner than any other place I take it to...even the self-serv can't get it that clean. Since I know where it leaks I just hold up a towel when I go in

Quick Reply: Car wash water sneaking in via weatherstripping...