Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 Convertible Mustang Window Repair

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 03:05 PM
MICHJACK24

Unhappy 08 Convertible Mustang Window Repair

My 08 convertible rear window glass shattered upon lowering the top. There was nothing in the well, but Ford Motor states that there is no mechanical issue with it. They also advised that they do not replace just the window, but the whole top needs to be replaced. Insurance has refused to pay since they feel it is a mechanical failure. My question is if the whole top needs to be replaced or can I just get the window replaced. I'm having a hard time finding a glass repair company to help (I live in North Carolina.) Any tips?
Old 09-11-2009, 09:16 AM
Misbehavin
2nd Gear Member

I would think, that due to the design of the top (being a single piece design), the entire top would need to be replaced.

Did you try a warranty claim first? If so, is that where you were told there was no mechanical failure? If so, I'd try another dealership, or call Ford Customer support directly. If the car is under warranty, and you know that you didn't cause the issue by leaving something in the well, I'd pursue getting this fixed under warranty. You may just have to deal directly with Ford before the dealership moves on it. Unless the dealership gets the OK from Ford, they will tend to dismiss it. They aren't going to fix something if they think Ford may not reimburse them.

With all of that being said, it would take a lot to shatter that back glass without mechanical failure or something being in the well.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:54 PM
scan1959
1st Gear Member

Michjack,
You are getting a run around from your insurance company. They knew when you bought the car that it was a convertible and charged you rates accordingly. Auto glass sometimes breaks just because it is auto glass - besides, you didn't break it on purpose. That is why we buy insurance.

The '08 Stang convertible's back window is NOT replaceable without replacing the whole convertible top. I know because I am a professional convertible top technician. I have been in the business for 21 years and I can tell you the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Stay on it with them. They would like you to just fade away. Good luck!

Auto glass companies don't do this kind of work. You will need to find someone like me. We are listed in the yellow pages directories under "Automotive seat covers, tops and upholstery". We call ourselves "Trim shops".
Old 06-16-2010, 11:52 PM
Shelby_Daytona
2nd Gear Member

How did you make out with this? I just had the exact same thing happen. Nothing in the well, not sure if the rear windows went down like they usually do, but the window shattered when it was about half way down... am trying to get a warranty claim put through, I work for a Ford Dealership and they all report it to the same warranty hotline so going to a different store isnt going to help if they say no... am just waiting to hear back from them... we will have to diagnose what caused it, and if there is a faulty part it will be covered, if not I am out $4000 with labor.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:10 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Edit: For some reason, I was thinking of the 1/4 glass on the sides, not the "rear" glass. Yes, I see why one would need to replace the whole top. It does not take much for the glass to break, so it is obvious that it made contact with the railing/support system meaning that it did not fold properly.

There was a TSB for a bent bow, or something like that awhile back. I wonder if that has anything to do with this....please keep us posted.

Last edited by TPony; 06-19-2010 at 05:16 PM.
Old 08-23-2020, 05:48 PM
Brian Curtis

Default 2008 mustang convertible rear window IS replaceable without replacing the entire top

Originally Posted by scan1959
Michjack,
You are getting a run around from your insurance company. They knew when you bought the car that it was a convertible and charged you rates accordingly. Auto glass sometimes breaks just because it is auto glass - besides, you didn't break it on purpose. That is why we buy insurance.

The '08 Stang convertible's back window is NOT replaceable without replacing the whole convertible top. I know because I am a professional convertible top technician. I have been in the business for 21 years and I can tell you the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Stay on it with them. They would like you to just fade away. Good luck!

Auto glass companies don't do this kind of work. You will need to find someone like me. We are listed in the yellow pages directories under "Automotive seat covers, tops and upholstery". We call ourselves "Trim shops".
Yes it is. I don't know why Michjack claims it is not, but the fact is that the 2008 mustang rear window IS replaceable without replacing the entire top. I have done it personally, in my driveway, to my own 2008 mustang convertible.
Old 08-23-2020, 08:25 PM
JimC

Originally Posted by Brian Curtis
Yes it is. I don't know why Michjack claims it is not, but the fact is that the 2008 mustang rear window IS replaceable without replacing the entire top. I have done it personally, in my driveway, to my own 2008 mustang convertible.
That's what I've always heard on the S197 as well, can't replace just the rear window. So how did you do it Brian?