Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vert owners poll

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 04:57 AM
nolafishr

I am New here and I am looking at getting a 05 GT Ragtop, I rather the Ragtop because you can put the Top Down and have that open air feeling, cannot do that with a coupe, the coupes are too small inside anyways!
I am waiting to hear something on the deal. I also Ride Harleys so I know about the being in the Wind.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:35 PM
kc5mhb
2nd Gear Member

I have two classic coupes, a Bronco, Expedition, and an 07 convertible. I sold a 95 Goldwing SE to buy the convertible. Do I miss the bike? Yes and no. The convertible is like riding a motorcycle without a helmet and when it starts raining, you have cover so you don't get wet. Its the best of both worlds. I was a bit skeptical about buying a convertible and the whole 'If somebody wants in all they got to do is cut the top' theory worried me. But if a real thief wants in, they'll break a window anyway so whats the difference, except insurance pays $2000 for a new top instead $100 for a new glass. If you don't leave things in plain sight (put all valuables in the trunk) there shouldn't be temptation to steal. About the rear glass and top replacement, the top does wear out and mechanical things do break. You have to remember, though, when you buy the extra perks in a vehicle, expect to have to maintain them. My '07 was a rental out of California and it came to me with a bent 3rd bow. The passenger door glass tore the edge of the top and it was replaced under warranty, twice (the dealer sent it to a shop that had no clue what was wrong). So I now have a 2008 top on a 2007 car. The only difference is that the 08 top has a drip ledge to keep the water on the top from getting you wet on entry/exit. All in all, if you take care of the top properly, it should provide years of trouble free maintenance ( unless of course you send it to a top shop that has untrained monkeys working there and they work on the car leaving multiple bolts loose and cross threading others. Stay far far away from Tops Unlimited in Baton Rouge).
Old 03-21-2010, 10:11 AM
De Vert 87

Default Vert

I love my Vert. Its a 1987 Gt. I would like to have a newer stang with better top sealing. The older cars started out as coupes. These cars tops never sealed out the noise or weather, this is why I only drive it in the nice weather.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:33 AM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

You're doing this poll in the 'vert sub section of this forum,, no wonder the verts are getting overwhelming voted over a coupe

Most certainly if you did the poll in another section the vote would probably swing more towards coups..

Personally this is my 4th Stang, and my 1st vert, and I freakin LOVE IT!! Even living in Ontario Canada with our heavy winters, I use this same car all year 'round.. no regrets at all! Yeah you can't put the top down as often as you like around here, but when you CAN it's a killer option to have!!

My next car will likely be another vert. Whether or not it's another Stang will be decided later lol
Old 03-21-2010, 11:33 AM
07cspony
3rd Gear Member

My 07 GT/CS vert is the first vert I've ever had. If I had to do it all over again...I would have done it much sooner. No leaks...don't notice the heat and as stated earlier...what a way to enjoy the ride.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:47 PM
Twstones
2nd Gear Member

2nd Stang, 2nd vert. This one was my mid-life crisis ride. Thought seriously about a Harley, but my practical side won out. Even here in Illinois, the rag top season is much longer that riding a Harley, and as several have stated, if it gets cold, or rainy, put the top up. It makes me really feel a part of the great outdoors. Plus, friends/family love going for a ride, who wouldn't think about hopping on the Harley. My grand kids (two who already drive) are drooling. This is not my DD, but don't think that would make a difference, as the 1st Stang vert. was. In fact when my DD pukes, ('01 Focus w/100,000miles) I doubt if I replace it...
Old 04-05-2010, 12:26 PM
Mpov
1st Gear Member

Unless you want to race or something like that, vert all the way!
Old 04-05-2010, 01:58 PM
noroofonthecoupe
Gimme a cupcake & a pat on the head

I had a VERT and now I have a coupe. Cruising with the top down is awesome, no need for a/c (unless your in standstill traffic), DONT GET LEATHER WITH A VERT!!!! I had leather and it was so hot in the summer I had to lay down a shirt on the seat just to sit down, leather wrapped steering wheel got entirly too hot to hold, had to steer w/knees until it cooled off, top leaked (a little when it rained a lot, but not enough to b*tch about it), no car washes (power washes spray water inside), some guys cut up my buddys top and broke into his car. Long story short if its a weekend car a vert is awesome definetly get it you'll love it (don't get leather, it'll get so hot in the summer), but as a DD I'd prefer a coupe ( I have a coupe now, had a vert before). Coupe's easier maintanence less worrying about security issues...ect.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:42 PM
kc5mhb
2nd Gear Member

Smile

Originally Posted by noroofonthecoupe
DONT GET LEATHER WITH A VERT!!!!
Its not really all leather, just pieces of leather mixed with vinyl. Had an upholstry friend of mine look at my interior and he chuckled as he looked at the back seat. He said most of it is vinyl with some sewn on leather strips. I don't know but I'll take his word for it. Its definitely not like the leather in my Expedition or Bronco. Seriously though, If you are going to park it in the sun for a while, put the top up so your interior doesn't get sun damaged. Besides you never know when someone might just decide to pour something in your car out of spite.

Originally Posted by noroofonthecoupe
some guys cut up my buddys top and broke into his car.
Bottom line....If they want in they will get in either by ripping the lock out, breaking a window or cutting the top. Just don't leave anything of value in plain sight. Around the local university where I live, somebody was breaking into coupes by ripping the drivers side lock out and then stealing anything that was valuable. If there is nothing a thief wants inside the car, besides the car, he'll move on. I installed a Ford factory security system so the car won't start without being disarmed properly. Then again, that's what insurance is for.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:31 PM
mustang6501

My wife has a '01 vert and I have a '65 vert. Her rule is simple. Sun out, top down. If she were queen of everything she would ticket all verts who don't take advantage of all the sunshine.

Quick Reply: Vert owners poll