Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie ques for buying 94 GT Conv

Old 01-29-2011, 03:48 PM
rowekmr

How did your car run before you had the chip burned/installed? Are you happy with the mail order chips?
Back in the early nineties when I had a fox body we adjusted the TPS, bumped the timing, did a cold/ram air intake, installed headers & h pipe, underdrive pulleys, cat back exhaust and put in 3.73 gears. I had a 91 convertible and had all the parts put in at once and when I picked the car up it was like night and day. I think the difference was more to the gear than the hp picked up with the parts but it made the car more fun to drive.

This car has a BBK 75 mm TB, cold air kit, upgraded ignition components and flowmasters is all I know. I will check for the gear and exhaust components later. I notice not too many people install underdrive pulleys so don't know if I will do that but would put in headers and h or x pipe. I found a trans with 1K miles(still under warranty) for $650 with 2K stall convertor and shifter and cooler from a guy who is changing his to a 5 speed. Here is the trans tell me what you think of it for my car.

http://racetransmissions.com/store/p...roducts_id/265

Otherwise I can go with stock take outs that run about 450-550 with around 70K miles locally.
I would consider a mild cam it there is one that won't throw the computer for a loop and can give me modest hp improvements. If I put one in it would probably be more for the sound than the performance. I know I am limited with this car what I can do to get real gains. From my reading I think the only options to go fast is stroker or 351W and/or supercharger. This is a family cruiser not a racer. Funny thing is the 4.6L 3V in my Explorer has more hp than this (292 hp).
Old 01-31-2011, 05:11 PM
Jayson95GT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rowekmr
How did your car run before you had the chip burned/installed? Are you happy with the mail order chips?
Back in the early nineties when I had a fox body we adjusted the TPS, bumped the timing, did a cold/ram air intake, installed headers & h pipe, underdrive pulleys, cat back exhaust and put in 3.73 gears. I had a 91 convertible and had all the parts put in at once and when I picked the car up it was like night and day. I think the difference was more to the gear than the hp picked up with the parts but it made the car more fun to drive.

This car has a BBK 75 mm TB, cold air kit, upgraded ignition components and flowmasters is all I know. I will check for the gear and exhaust components later. I notice not too many people install underdrive pulleys so don't know if I will do that but would put in headers and h or x pipe. I found a trans with 1K miles(still under warranty) for $650 with 2K stall convertor and shifter and cooler from a guy who is changing his to a 5 speed. Here is the trans tell me what you think of it for my car.

http://racetransmissions.com/store/p...roducts_id/265

Otherwise I can go with stock take outs that run about 450-550 with around 70K miles locally.
I would consider a mild cam it there is one that won't throw the computer for a loop and can give me modest hp improvements. If I put one in it would probably be more for the sound than the performance. I know I am limited with this car what I can do to get real gains. From my reading I think the only options to go fast is stroker or 351W and/or supercharger. This is a family cruiser not a racer. Funny thing is the 4.6L 3V in my Explorer has more hp than this (292 hp).
I would jump on that trans, thats a great deal. My car ran ok without the chip, but the chip definately helped to. Im still trying to figure out one little bug, car sometimes wants to idle too low or die if you snap the throttle. Otherwise the thing is a monster.... I think I just need to work on adjusting the TPS/throttle body butterfly some more. I think from the understanding I am getting I would just tell the guy to keep those perf. parts. You can go fast from H/C/I but I just think that guys selection is a little off, not matched correctly. The heads are alright but the rest of his choices kinda wierd you know?
Old 01-31-2011, 09:27 PM
rowekmr

So your stroker motor with heads,cam and intake with larger injectors first ran on the stock computer ok (before the burned chip)? I didn't know the computer had that much latitude.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:28 PM
Jayson95GT
1st Gear Member

I had to change the MAF to one calibrated for 36lb injectors because it was running too rich. I also originally had a stall converter with too low of a flash speed in it which really made it run like crap. After changing the converter and the MAF it actually wasn't too horribly bad, just a few little hiccups every once in while. After getting the chip made though it really tweaked it out, Even made it idle a little smoother which is pretty impressive given the cam that was in it. Other than the issue with idle speed/dieing when snapping the throttle sometimes, it runs real good now.