Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie ques for buying 94 GT Conv

Old 01-25-2011, 11:49 PM
rowekmr

Default Newbie ques for buying 94 GT Conv

Hello
I found a 94 GT Convertible that is immaculate in and out. It has the Saleen front adn rear valence and some aftermarket side skirts with aftermarket rims. It is dark green exterior with black leather interior (seats from a 2004). He says the auto trans is bad and it has 88K. It has flowmasters, HID lights, MSD 6AL box and coil/cap/rotor. It starts up quick and sounds good (don't know if H pipe installed). He was asking 3.8K and I offered 2.3K and he agreed. He also had new in box Perfomer Aluminum heads, Edelbrock upper and lower and elbow, and a Comp Cams 280 kit (timing wheels, chain, springs, retainers, etc,) that he wanted 1.6K and I offered 1.1K he countered 1.2K. What do you think of the value of the car and are the parts something I could use to make this car stronger yet streetable. He doesn't have headers and when I looked on the Comp Cam site they recommend 2500 stall, headers, bigger mass air and bigger TB for this cam. What could I look to make with this installed with mass air, tb and headers? Is a higher stall really necessary?

Thanks
Joe
Old 01-26-2011, 05:43 PM
Jayson95GT
1st Gear Member

need a little more info bud. There are MANY different versions of Performer head for 5.0 mustang. How bout some part numbers or specs on the intake, heads, and camshaft kit.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:50 PM
rowekmr

I'm sorry didn't have paper to write down the specs but I recall the box said Performer SB Ford heads with 60 cc's? The Comp Cam was model 284 and the intake boxs had no writings but they were Edelbrock Intakes with elbow. I see in your signature you have yours completely modded out. How do you like the performance?
Old 01-26-2011, 06:02 PM
Jayson95GT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rowekmr
I'm sorry didn't have paper to write down the specs but I recall the box said Performer SB Ford heads with 60 cc's? The Comp Cam was model 284 and the intake boxs had no writings but they were Edelbrock Intakes with elbow. I see in your signature you have yours completely modded out. How do you like the performance?
60cc sounds like combustion chamber volume. Also there are many different edelbrock intakes as well. Really need some part #s or all the specs. I like mine, pulls hard now. Have some issues with traction though, I need to get some DRs
Old 01-26-2011, 06:13 PM
rowekmr

Someone told me these motors are speed density stock, I thought they had the mass air system. Also how do you tune them? Are you able to use the handheld tuners or do they still use chips for the computers?

Originally Posted by Jayson95GT
60cc sounds like combustion chamber volume. Also there are many different edelbrock intakes as well. Really need some part #s or all the specs. I like mine, pulls hard now. Have some issues with traction though, I need to get some DRs
Old 01-26-2011, 09:22 PM
Jayson95GT
1st Gear Member

Someone told me these motors are speed density stock, I thought they had the mass air system. Also how do you tune them? Are you able to use the handheld tuners or do they still use chips for the computers?
A 94gt uses mass air flow. Speed density was used on the older fox bodys. 94 and 95 Mustangs are still OBD1 for the most part however, and therefore the stock ECM is not reprogrammable as it uses ROM(read only Memory). So unless you completely change out the computer(aka PCM, ECM, etc...) you would have to get a chip made. There are a few options when it comes to a chip however, and I am no expert by any means. You can take your car to a speed shop with a chassis dyno(such as brenspeed) and they can make u a chip based on the dyno results. What I did however because I am poor, I was referred to a gentleman who does mail order tunes. Basically I told him what Mods I had made and he made me a chip based off of that.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:27 AM
rowekmr

Ok the cam kit is Comp Cam SK35-306-8 which on their website it the supercharger cam (284 cam) kit including cam shaft, lifters timing chain set, assembly lube, decals, matched valve springs, valve spring retainers, valve locks, valve stem seals (got item description off of box)
The manifold paper work says Edelbrock Performer upper part#3821 and lower #3820
The intake manifold elbow looks like it is model 3835
The heads are model 60379 Edelbrock SB Ford Aluminum Heads Performer with 170 cc intake runner and 60 cc combustion chamber which are fully assembled. The website lists their applications as 5.0 and 5.8 with 1.90 intake and 1.60 exhaust valves.

All of these are new in the box with packing material.

Originally Posted by Jayson95GT

Last edited by rowekmr; 01-28-2011 at 05:31 AM.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:14 PM
Jayson95GT
1st Gear Member

Ok the cam kit is Comp Cam SK35-306-8 which on their website it the supercharger cam (284 cam) kit including cam shaft, lifters timing chain set, assembly lube, decals, matched valve springs, valve spring retainers, valve locks, valve stem seals (got item description off of box)
The manifold paper work says Edelbrock Performer upper part#3821 and lower #3820
The intake manifold elbow looks like it is model 3835
The heads are model 60379 Edelbrock SB Ford Aluminum Heads Performer with 170 cc intake runner and 60 cc combustion chamber which are fully assembled. The website lists their applications as 5.0 and 5.8 with 1.90 intake and 1.60 exhaust valves.

All of these are new in the box with packing material.
you would definately be getting a deal, all those parts are well over 2k retail. However I am confused as to his choice in parts. Who helped him pick those out? (especially the cam). Are you planning on running a S/C? To my understanding thats what that cam is designed for.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:29 AM
rowekmr

I wanted to get the car running first and didn't plan on upgrading until the summer. I still don't quite to understand how much latitude the stock computer has for adapting to mild upgrades like TB, Mass Air, headers and free flowing exhaust and maybe a mild cam. To go further with supercharger, stronger cam, stall TC and heads I don't know what will need to be done to tune it. I hadn't plan on supercharger it but I wouldn't rule it out either.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:26 PM
Jayson95GT
1st Gear Member

I wanted to get the car running first and didn't plan on upgrading until the summer. I still don't quite to understand how much latitude the stock computer has for adapting to mild upgrades like TB, Mass Air, headers and free flowing exhaust and maybe a mild cam. To go further with supercharger, stronger cam, stall TC and heads I don't know what will need to be done to tune it. I hadn't plan on supercharger it but I wouldn't rule it out either.
Well, to answer your question, the Mild upgrades you mentioned should be ok without computer mods. However, if you were to get a chip made for them after you installed them it would help tweak the car a little bit. Personally I probably wouldn't spend the money as it wouldn't make that much of a difference. Personally, I think the parts this guy bought are not going to match together correctly. You have a set of heads that are designed for around the 6k rpm range, an intake thats more for a stock motor, and a cam for the 2k-6k rpm range designed for a supercharger. Just doesn't make sense to me. I could be wrong though, I'm no expert by any means. I think you need to decide more what you want to do with the car first, Otherwise your going to be buying alot of stuff twice....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Newbie ques for buying 94 GT Conv