Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

00 Mustang Top go up slow

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 12:53 PM
Narayanchip

Default 00 Mustang Top go up slow

Hey guys, i got a Mustang 00 v6 3.8 manual convertable, i got the top problem.., it go up slow , the right side go up first then the left start go up, and then sometimes it will go really slow up or it just stop and won't go up at all, i checked for some leaks and i didn't found anything.., im located at Houston Tx 77063 and couldn't find anyone that will want to give a look at that, im new to the states and have no tools to give it a check by my self.. there shops that told me if we start u might end up in 4k $ and im not wiiling to spend that much on something i know i can do by my self if i got the tools.., il be happy to hear some advices and maybe there is someone from the area that willing to check it up with me and do it by our selvs.., not asking for free fix but asking for some help , the motors do a sound that it strugling but im not sure if its cuz of the hedraulics or not to much fluid.., sorry for the long thread.. just don't know what to do.

Thank you very much guys.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:30 PM
Schmalgar
3rd Gear Member

I had the same problem on my last convertible. Regarding one side going up first, it was because that side was actually rubbing on the inner wall of the car when coming up. I don't remember exactly what I did, but I think there was a rubber seal or something that had come a little loose and I was able to push it back into position, and after that it raised evenly.

Regarding the slowness, I sold mine before I really had to look into fixing it. But from what I understand, that is often a low fluid issue, or air in the hydraulic lines as well. Are you raising it with the engine running or not? And is it any faster with the engine running? Because I am thinking it could also be the battery.

As I understand it, there are 2 motors one for up and one for down. Or it's a 2-cycle motor, and runs one way for up and the other for down, something like that. So it's possible that it can be broken one way but work fine the other...

I am not from your area so I don't know of any good but cheaper shops to try, sorry. Welcome to the forum, and good luck...
Old 04-12-2012, 04:25 PM
Narayanchip

Thanks for information, ive been in few shops they said alot of not really smart things :P so i got mad and take everything apart to see exactly what is my problem... first of all one ofe the parts at the connections of the roof was not tight at the left side so i tighted that part, and i got a leak at the left side so il fix it in about 10 mins... then il put more fluid because probably i don't have enough... i think il figure it out.. il post here what happend next.

thank you.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:34 PM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

I dont bother trying to put my top up or down without the engine running. Its such a drain on the battery.

But I've heard of low fluid before as well. Its too bad you have to be a Chinese Contortionist to get to the motor
Old 04-12-2012, 05:39 PM
Narayanchip

well, the work of 20$ and 40 min worth it, i had some small leak from the connectors and not enough fluid... fixed thouse problems and the roof work like a champ!, its pretty easy system, just thought i gonna need more tools and knoledge but i guess i don't need any shop that request 300-700 dollars to start workin on my roof..

thank you very much guys!! im glad i found this forum!
Old 04-12-2012, 07:01 PM
Schmalgar
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Narayanchip
well, the work of 20$ and 40 min worth it, i had some small leak from the connectors and not enough fluid... fixed thouse problems and the roof work like a champ!, its pretty easy system, just thought i gonna need more tools and knoledge but i guess i don't need any shop that request 300-700 dollars to start workin on my roof..

thank you very much guys!! im glad i found this forum!
Attaboy! Good job! You are now officially on your way to being a 'car guy' Yeah it's crazy what a shop wants to pay for something like that. I am not a mechanic either, but I have learned to do a few things under the hood, like replacing the alternator, water pump, and headlight motor on various cars. Some of it's not really hard if you're willing to try it...