Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed a new top on my '02.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 05:25 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Default Installed a new top on my '02.

I posted this in the 4.6 section but I figured it would fit nicely here too.

After putting it off for months I finally couldn't stand to look at my '02 GT's raggedy top any longer. I called around and the price to have it done professionally was anywhere from 1300-1500 dollars. Well, that just wasn't going to happen.

So I went on Ebay and dropped 300 on a new top and because I have never installed a convertible top before I went ahead and bit on a 'how to' video some guy was offering on Ebay as well.

After about 16 hours of tugging and stapling and restapling it is done and I am very pleased with the results.

In the interest of full disclosure I must admit that I also bloodied my lip and I am pretty sure I broke my nose when my needle nose pliers slipped and I punched myself in the face while trying to get a retaining spring through a grommet. It has been over a week and my nose is still sore as hell and my right nostril has a bit of a whistle that wasn't there before. Needle nose vise grips would have prevented that. But I digress...

The top fits like a glove and the instructional DVD was an awesome step by step how-to from tear down to installation taking all of the guess work out of the job.

I did play hell trying to get the top to latch but after calling the shop from whom I bought the top they dropped some helpful hints on me and I did get it latched. I just went through a helluva rain storm this afternoon and I didn't notice any leaks anywhere in the cab or the trunk so I'm tickled pink.

If you have no experience at it then I would strongly recommend getting the DVD and a good quality electric or air stapler. I tried using my trusty Arrow T50 and my Powershot staplers and those were non-starters so I went to Lowes and got their 30.00 electric stapler which sufficed.

In a nutshell, if you are needing a new top but don't have the fundage or the desire to spend the money to have someone else do it, do it yourself. I figure the money I saved is worth my whistling snot locker.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:10 PM
jdphillips73
4th Gear Member

congrats...and i had a few chuckles reading your post...

send me a copy of the DVD!

ill pay ya!
Old 03-10-2012, 12:05 AM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by fastbackford351

In the interest of full disclosure I must admit that I also bloodied my lip and I am pretty sure I broke my nose when my needle nose pliers slipped and I punched myself in the face while trying to get a retaining spring through a grommet. It has been over a week and my nose is still sore as hell and my right nostril has a bit of a whistle that wasn't there before. Needle nose vise grips would have prevented that. But I digress...

I figure the money I saved is worth my whistling snot locker.
Im sorry to resurrect an old post, but I laughed my A$$ off reading this post!

Good info and im glad it turned out well...and I think we've all been there with the self inflicted wounds
Old 06-06-2012, 12:06 PM
Finallyverted

Ya I need a copy of that DVD as well how's that nose doing?
Old 07-16-2012, 02:33 AM
Мустанг

Great story...I am about he do the same myself. Hoping it goes smoothly.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:58 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Just did this myself, the only issue I have now is that the front doesn't meat the windshield tight, is this something I'm going to have to wait for the top to stretch to remedy or should I unstaple the front and redo it a little looser?
Old 07-16-2012, 05:40 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Any pics?? Also congrats on the purchase! Nothing like saving a grand, lol!
Old 07-16-2012, 06:49 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Hadn't finished the back portion yet in this pic

This one it's done

Old 07-16-2012, 07:37 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Nice job man! BTW what kind of a front bumper is that?
Old 07-17-2012, 06:24 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Cobra r, still lookin for some insight for my issue guys

Quick Reply: Installed a new top on my '02.