Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible Top Shops in Metro Atlanta

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 10:01 PM
sparks717

Default Convertible Top Shops in Metro Atlanta

I have a 2001 GT that has needed a new top for a while, but after taking a small tree branch to the top during a storm this week, the decision has been made for me. I have been looking at a replacement parchment top from LMR for right at $400.00 (complete kit including rear defrost window) and was wondering if anyone had any advice on a good shop to use for the installation.

I have also read in a few places that it is better to have the shop order the top vs. the customer supplying the materials and thought that someone would have some thoughts as to which way to go on that as well. I want to keep the costs as low as possible, but also want to make sure that it is done right, so any advice on Metro Atlanta shops would be greatly appreciated!
Old 03-27-2013, 06:51 AM
FlamingoGT
2nd Gear Member

I can't help with the shop, but I will agree with letting the shop get the top... they will have more experience installing tops that they sell, and they probably get better discounts than you would.
Is the top from LMR made by another company, or is it LMR branded? If it is the same brand as the one the top shop sells, then maybe see if they can get the top for less or if not then how much it would be to install the top if you get it. That at least will provide a couple of different cost estimates for you.
Also, there was another post close to the top of this forum about LMR tops and not fitting right... I didn't read it, but you might want to check it out and see if it applies to you.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:38 PM
scan1959
1st Gear Member

I've got a few ideas on this subject.

DISCLAIMER: This is what I do for a living. Read into this - I may be biased. These are not necessarily the facts in everyones region.

Some shops won't install the top if you order it and take it to the shop for the installation. Part of their profit for the shop is contingent on the top shop being able to order the top and adding a percentage of markup.

Thus, if a high quality top and back glass costs a top shop $ 600, they would mark it up to maybe $ 735 before adding labor to install. If you supply your own top, the shop might feel cheated out of their normal profit. Will they install your top? Probably, but they might not go the extra mile to make repairs that they might normally include if they supplied the top.

Another thing you need to consider - you won't have any warranty on the new top unless you can coerce the seller into making good on a bad top. As soon as the installer applies the first brush of glue or shoots the first staple, many suppliers don't want it back.

I have no history with LMR. They might bend over backwards to make you happy. If it were my business I would.

More later - if needed.

scan
Old 04-08-2013, 01:32 PM
sparks717

Thanks for the advice! I ended filing this through my insurance comprehensive coverage since it was storm damage and they covered the full price. I had a local shop order the top and install it instead of trying to save a few extra bucks by ordering the top separate.

The top that they ordered was an Electron Top (same as the one provided through LMR), but I do not know who he used when ordering his. I would assume that the Electron top through LMR would be the same as the one he ordered, but I did not want to take chances when it came to the warranty.

All in all, the top came out looking great and I am very happy having a new top on the stang! It really makes a world of difference....now to work on the badly faded hood scoop! Thanks again for the help!