Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Minor issues on a 2010 Convertible

Old 04-27-2014, 11:03 PM
Avalongod

Default Minor issues on a 2010 Convertible

Hi Folks:

New to the forum. Just had a couple minor repair issues I wanted to ask about. For background I have 2010 convertible V6, about 54k miles.

I should also say upfront I have no personal repair skills whatsoever. I could replace a car battery but that's about my level. I'm not remotely at a point of dismantaling my car myself.

The issues I have a minor, but I'd like to get them fixed when I have a chance.

The first is just the compass in the dashboard display. It will usually work briefly, when turning the vehicle on and maybe for 5 minutes after. Sometimes it reads "CAL" (for calculating, I'd assume). Usually by 5 minutes it goes to "--" and stays there. I'm guessing there's a loose wire or bad connection. As per my note above regarding the limits of my technical skill, there's no way I'm ripping my dash apart. I'm curious if a.) there's some easy fix I may be overlooking (I admit I haven't yet done the simple thing of looking through the manual for dash instructions, but I'm guessing this is something beyond that simple a fix) and b.) what kind of $$$ I may likely be looking at to fix this.

The second issue I have is the rear defroster doesn't work. I understand from reading some other threads that this is common for convertibles of all stripes (and I do take the top down a lot), usually involving a loose wire or bad connection again. Is there someplace I should specifically look to check the connections that would require much dismantaling of the car? If not, what kind of $$$ would I be looking at here as well? I live in Florida so rear defroster comes into play only a bit more often than the compass...neither is a critical issue, but ideally I'd like them fixed.

Thanx!
Old 04-28-2014, 07:28 AM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

The compass may just need calibrated....."cal". Instructions are in the owners manual.

For the defrost, the connection should be on the drivers side at the edge of the rear glass. Just a small electrical plug. I believe that an upholstery shop that does tops may be able to help you if the contacts are bad. Cost.....should not be much but not sure.

Where are you in Fl.?
Old 04-29-2014, 09:50 PM
Avalongod

Default Thanx

Thanx AZPete! This was very helpful. Yeah I'm pretty clueless on my own, but these fixes seem well within my (limited) abilities.

I'm down in Winter Springs, just outside Orlando. Nice area.