Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 convertible top problem with elastic lever straps

Old 08-21-2014, 08:04 PM
cvp4571

Default 2010 convertible top problem with elastic lever straps

Hello. I have a 2010 Mustang I purchased 2 years ago. It has 46,500 mi.Love it. Just noticed one of the elastic straps attached to one of the two lever arms is frayed badly, barely attached by a few threads. Have not yet taken it to the dealer.I will not lower the top until this is repaired and want to prepare for the worst case scenario that the dealer may tell me as I know the Extended Premium warrantee does not cover convertible tops.
thanks.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:20 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

I don't know of any place that would replace those....possibly a new top either under warranty or your pocket.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:12 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by cvp4571
Hello. I have a 2010 Mustang I purchased 2 years ago. It has 46,500 mi.Love it. Just noticed one of the elastic straps attached to one of the two lever arms is frayed badly, barely attached by a few threads. Have not yet taken it to the dealer.I will not lower the top until this is repaired and want to prepare for the worst case scenario that the dealer may tell me as I know the Extended Premium warranty does not cover convertible tops.
thanks.
Hi cvp4571,

Welcome to the forum! My name is Deysha with Ford Service and I recommend you have your dealer check it out and speak to your service manager. He is in the best position to ensure a proper diagnosis, and will be able to provide available options and/or coverage for any work needed. Also, remember most repairs done at a Ford Dealer come with a 24 months/unlimited miles warranty.

You can schedule an appointment online here.

Deysha
Old 05-09-2015, 09:32 AM
cvp4571

Red face diy repair.

Originally Posted by AzPete
I don't know of any place that would replace those....possibly a new top either under warranty or your pocket.
warranty does not cover convertible tops. thank you ford. decided not to spend $3000 for a new top and repaired it myself by sewing the elastic strap. makes no sense that a 4 inch elastic strap would be used for such an important function as it hold the lever arm that guides the top as it folds .there is one on each side. I simply sewed the frayed area and plan to run some super glue over the stitching. I still think there must be a way to remove and replace these straps. Maybe I have not described the problem well enough as I have not received any other replies other than yours and a ford rep telling me to bring it to the dealer to have it looked at. Why, so they can tell me I need a new top and that warranty wont cover it.I have attached a photo of the problem before my diy repair.
Attached Thumbnails 2010 convertible top problem with elastic lever straps-convertible-top-repair.jpg  
Old 10-31-2015, 01:01 PM
patrick14384

warranty does not cover convertible tops. thank you ford. decided not to spend $3000 for a new top and repaired it myself by sewing the elastic strap. makes no sense that a 4 inch elastic strap would be used for such an important function as it hold the lever arm that guides the top as it folds .there is one on each side. I simply sewed the frayed area and plan to run some super glue over the stitching. I still think there must be a way to remove and replace these straps. Maybe I have not described the problem well enough as I have not received any other replies other than yours and a ford rep telling me to bring it to the dealer to have it looked at. Why, so they can tell me I need a new top and that warranty wont cover it.I have attached a photo of the problem before my diy repair.
How is your repair holding up? I have the same exact problem with my 2010 Mustang and my initial reaction was just like yours, sew it back together, but I am not really positive that it would last for more than a couple of months.
Old 10-31-2015, 02:21 PM
scan1959
1st Gear Member

Hi cvp4571,

These elastic straps are available at your local auto upholstery shop(usually). My shop regularly repairs convertible tops, and we wouldn't think of letting our stock of elastic strapping run out.

The original purpose of the strap was to pull the edge of the topping in towards the center as the top is lowered into the well. Makes it fold better. Truthfully, if it actually was to completely separate, the top would still function properly.

Whether you sew it on, or me, this is a simple repair that does NOT require that you take your convertible to the dealer.

Good luck,

scan
Old 11-01-2015, 11:33 PM
cvp4571

Default perfect.

Originally Posted by patrick14384
How is your repair holding up? I have the same exact problem with my 2010 Mustang and my initial reaction was just like yours, sew it back together, but I am not really positive that it would last for more than a couple of months.
Holding up very well, just made sure there was enough slack and sewed it repeatedly. The post below is from someone who carries these straps at his repair shop and does the repair. I guess I was initially misinformed by a technician on these boards about Ford not selling these straps and that I would need a new top.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:38 AM
patrick14384

Holding up very well, just made sure there was enough slack and sewed it repeatedly. The post below is from someone who carries these straps at his repair shop and does the repair. I guess I was initially misinformed by a technician on these boards about Ford not selling these straps and that I would need a new top.
Thanks! I will find these straps and make the repair. It is good to hear that it held up, as I was a bit worried given the amount of stretch I saw while opening the roof.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:41 AM
jamshednawaz

A quick repair/fix as suggested by cvp4571. i had the same issue and i bought a black elastic from embroidery shop, with sail needles (something strong) and thats about it.
Torx screwdriver is required. and thread which is strong as well.
Sewed through the top directly - same thread color as top, so its not that noticeable.
Used "Back stiching".
i doubled up the elastic on each side to give it extra strength.
There is another elastic band through the width of top. I replaced that as well.
Now the top folds back like new! had this done for about $5 and about 1.5 hrs (not experienced in sewing) saved $$$!