Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automated car wash, and convertibles?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 08:34 AM
Pr0cl1v1ty
2nd Gear Member

I don't own an convertible, however I will never again bring a car through an automated wash... Hand Washes Only. I got lazy with my last car and brought it through the car wash multiple times in-between hand washes and you get stuff messed up on your car, scratches and small dents everywhere. The car before you might have rocks and crap all inside of it, then the rags that are slamming against your car might pick 1 or 2 up on the material, then your screwed... jm2s :P Plus handwashes look 10x better! Especially after you do your own tires and hand dry.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:35 AM
Redfire6er
1st Gear Member

Nope never have. I've had two verts now with no leaks whatsoever..........Knock on wood. I'll use a rag with some quick detailer sprayed on it to wipe the top down no problems here. Water snow rain and ice come right off. It also helps with the bird droppings. These cars will last if you take care of them.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:38 AM
Redfire6er
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Pr0cl1v1ty
I don't own an convertible, however I will never again bring a car through an automated wash... Hand Washes Only. I got lazy with my last car and brought it through the car wash multiple times in-between hand washes and you get stuff messed up on your car, scratches and small dents everywhere. The car before you might have rocks and crap all inside of it, then the rags that are slamming against your car might pick 1 or 2 up on the material, then your screwed... jm2s :P Plus handwashes look 10x better! Especially after you do your own tires and hand dry.
Totally agree with you. Do not use the car washes with the brushes........Touch less, or a do it yourself with a bucket and soap.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:43 AM
Pr0cl1v1ty
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Redfire6er
Totally agree with you. Do not use the car washes with the brushes........Touch less, or a do it yourself with a bucket and soap.
You can even knock out a really quick outside wash in around 30mins and it still will look a crap ton better. I like spending time on the rims and tires though... those bring out the car
Old 02-12-2015, 08:50 AM
Redfire6er
1st Gear Member

Agreed!! In a pinch, I go with the touch less. If I have time, I go to one of those self serve bays. I bring all my own stuff bucket, soap, etc. Fill the bucket, use the pressure washers lowest setting, and take my time. I do not use any brushes they have.......They will scratch the crap out of your paint.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:04 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

When I lived in San Diego I only washed my cars by hand, I never considered the horror of taking it though a car wash. It's 5 degree outside here in WI, which means if you drive your car in winter, you gotta go to a car wash. I have 68,000 miles on my black 2012, the paint is fine, no dents or scratches, and the car wash I use has an underside spray that gets rid of a lot of the road salt stuck out of reach of a hand wash. (I think these tend to wash away grease in places where you are supposed to have grease). I had 190K on my 2000 Mustang and it still looked nearly new. I still cringe every time I take it through though.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:13 AM
Pr0cl1v1ty
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Redfire6er
Agreed!! In a pinch, I go with the touch less. If I have time, I go to one of those self serve bays. I bring all my own stuff bucket, soap, etc. Fill the bucket, use the pressure washers lowest setting, and take my time. I do not use any brushes they have.......They will scratch the crap out of your paint.
Haha I do the same thing! I put in $2 in quarter and fill my bucket with all my own products on the side, I only use the pressure water on the rims.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:53 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

I've put mine through automatic washes before, only a handful of times in the 8 years I've had it. The part that I find a little scary is the high velocity air drying the car; I'd hate to have the back glass get blown in. It puts a lot of stress on there.

I get that it's freezing ***** outside where many of you are at, but for my time, money and peace of mind one would be better off giving it a quick spray in the driveway before putting it away. Those undercarriage blast thingy's at the car wash are mostly useless anyway. Drive up on some ramps in your driveway and spend about 5 minutes being cold while you spray off the underside of the car.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:35 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Originally Posted by Z28KLR
I've put mine through automatic washes before, only a handful of times in the 8 years I've had it. The part that I find a little scary is the high velocity air drying the car; I'd hate to have the back glass get blown in. It puts a lot of stress on there.

I get that it's freezing ***** outside where many of you are at, but for my time, money and peace of mind one would be better off giving it a quick spray in the driveway before putting it away. Those undercarriage blast thingy's at the car wash are mostly useless anyway. Drive up on some ramps in your driveway and spend about 5 minutes being cold while you spray off the underside of the car.
What makes them useless?
Old 02-16-2015, 01:59 PM
Pr0cl1v1ty
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99GTvert
What makes them useless?
I think he is trying to relay a point that they barely clean anything under the carriage in "most" service car washes.

Quick Reply: Automated car wash, and convertibles?