Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hydraulic cylinder leaks & possibly broken

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 02:51 PM
jruppert

Default hydraulic cylinder leaks & possibly broken

My top hasnt moved up and down since I owned it last fall. Since I was messing with the window regulator bushings and figuring why the motor wasnt working I thought I would take a look at why I had fluid back there. I filled it with fluid and top was not wanting to move. I removed the top from the cylinders; took cotter pin out and main pin to removed load from the cylinders. With top up, I pushed the button to lower them. I saw the passenger side lower just fine. Not sure about the driver though. I pushed button to put top up. The passenger side started to come up. All of a sudden I hear this splat sound. I look over to driver side and a huge huge puddle. Upon further inspecting I find the rod that connects to the frame was complete unscrewed from whatever inside. I found this out when I pulled on the rod slightly. The entire thing came out. There is roughly an inch or inch and a half of threading on the end of the rod. I see no damage to the rod threads. I tried to screw this back in but it doesnt seem like anything in there is wanting to connect.

Your thoughts?
Old 05-23-2015, 05:40 PM
Special20
1st Gear Member

I remember someone talking about a problem he had with a cylinder coming apart and was able to screw it back together. If I were you , I would purchase 2 new cylinders and a set of lines and replace both at the same time. If one cylinder is weak going up or down, the top can get pinched and a hole develop. It is not a hard job just very messy.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:42 PM
jruppert

Yeah I was starting to wonder if replacing the cylinder would be in order. It spewed out a ton of fluid. Does anyone know where i can get a new plug for the pump?
Old 05-24-2015, 08:58 AM
jruppert

I managed to get the rod threaded back into the cylinder. Then I ran the pump back and forth. Guess what.. no leaks! One thing that I noticed was that when I ran it in up position, the passenger side went down and the driver side went up. The previous owner must of hooked it up backwards. After a quick switch, they both ran in the correct direction. Unfortunately I am finding that the driver side cylinder appears to be too weak to move the top. If I help it along, it works fine. It just doesnt have the strength to do it on its own. Looks like I will need to replace this. I really dont want to replace everything as I am putting this car up for sale.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:44 AM
Special20
1st Gear Member

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...ible-Top-Motor