Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ragtop treatment

Old 02-23-2018, 02:43 PM
swodo

Default Ragtop treatment

Is there anything special about Ragtop Cleaner? Is there something else that can be used? And rather than a horsehair brush, could the top be cleaned with (maybe) a microfiber cloth? Just wondering.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:15 PM
scan1959
1st Gear Member

Ragtopp and their competitor "303 Aerospace Protectant" both are great products.

You have to make sure to order the type of protectant for your convertible top cover(ie:if your top is sailcloth vinyl, order the protectant for vinyl - if it is cloth, order the protectant for cloth tops).

I've always just sprayed it on.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:13 PM
swodo

I guess I wasn't clear. I mean the cleaner sold by Ragtop that is used on a fabric top prior to using the Ragtop spray. They also recommend lightly scrubbing with a horsehair brush to clean, but all the reviews i've seen are that the brush sold by Ragtop is of very poor quality- so i was wondering if a microfiber cloth would do for cleaning prior to application, along with a mild soap.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:08 PM
bstang14
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by swodo
I guess I wasn't clear. I mean the cleaner sold by Ragtop that is used on a fabric top prior to using the Ragtop spray. They also recommend lightly scrubbing with a horsehair brush to clean, but all the reviews i've seen are that the brush sold by Ragtop is of very poor quality- so i was wondering if a microfiber cloth would do for cleaning prior to application, along with a mild soap.
I bought this one. Works very well and doesn't shed bristles.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LOJK208/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 03-03-2018, 06:46 AM
Wife’s 18 GT CONV

Originally Posted by swodo
I’m sure tops get dirty and stained and need recovery.

my wife has now had 2 verts , one GM , now one Ford. My method from beginning on both was the plastic brush of a wet vac, dry, after picking most things with my fingernails if necessary. Then just the hose nozzle on jet setting and never ever use soap!

her tops canvas fibers always stood up snd therefore it’s water repellancy intact. Even when the threads were getting old and slowly deteriorating , the canvas was always good snd never water absorbant at all

our 3rd world priblem her 18 GT vert has visible crease marks from folding down when in the light of parking lot lights , no texture issues or canvas damage just the way light hits it I see I see it, bugs the crap out of me .

love that car in sport mode, you don’t need the shifters , this thing detects your full letbiff snd begins to downshift repeatedly hard until you get back on it