Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 07 convertable wont stop leaking into rear passenger floor

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 02:30 PM
Pueseglitz

Default My 07 convertable wont stop leaking into rear passenger floor

I have seen this problem answered a lot but I dont understand half of what everyone keeps saying. First I can't even find the drain hole in front of the rear tires. There are holes everywhere, I've used a screw driver In all of them hoping one would be the illusive drain without luck. From the inside I can't see from where the water is actually coming from. I tried to remove the inside trim but after breaking the first one I figured I should stop. The water is ruining my car, there is a odd brown goo coming from under the center console that's now on the carpet in the rear seat area, the leather on door panels is falling off, the same drown goo is on the passenger door panel near the bottom. After a 2 day rain storm I opened the car and was greeted to humidity that fogged my glasses, this is normal now. I need pictures of the drain holes, the inside back quarter panel area and where I'm supposed to seal or clean out. The descriptions in the posts are not clear to me, I just not seeing the things people keep saying to look for and fix. I had the top checked and was told it's not the rear window leak.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:07 PM
scan1959
1st Gear Member

If you're sure that the back window isn't leaking, then you probably got one of those Mustangs that are leaking from behind the glove box.

Evidently Ford service writers got tired of lying to owners of Mustangs saying that there wasn't anyone else having this problem. Now there is finally a TSB from Ford about it.

Haven't read it.

Good luck.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:25 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

The drains are in the cowl:

That little pouch right below where the wire goes into the cowl area
from the front. Between the booster hose, and the metal line. There is
one on the other side by the battery tray, down. They clog up, usually a
leaf or something lays on top...

The brown goo, may be from the vapor barrier, which is how it's adhered on to
the door metal under the panel. If water is coming from there, you need to take
the door panels off and see what moved that the water is wicking down to get
behind the vapor barrier, then out the bottom. Your door drains can also
be clogged, so the water level is higher, and coming through any hole in the
door metal, then down along the bottom of the vapor barrier, then into the car out
the bottom of the door panel.

I think the rear drains come out in front of the rear tires, somewhere around
there? AH, here:
Old 05-19-2018, 09:26 PM
Pueseglitz

I had the problem with stuff clogging the flap below the cabin air filter last year. That was fixed and checked a lot. The water is coming from where the seat belt connects to the rear quarter panels, I took the seat out and see it leaking but I dont know what I'm looking for. I see people say there's drain holes, but I can't find them, from below the car or from inside. I took out about a gallon of water this morning from under the rear seat. The top recently came away from the back window, I have new top being put on this week. The water problem and mold smell has been in the car for some months though. I really need a picture or drawing of where these drain holes are, I read the ground effects could be in the way, but I doubt ford would have blocked the holes with ground effects.
Old 05-20-2018, 02:52 AM
08'MustangDude
Banned

I guess you did not see the video?
Old 05-20-2018, 08:52 AM
Pueseglitz

I did watch the video, that's the trim piece that broke, I tried coat hanger and an antenna. I could not find a drain hole, had someone try from the top while I was looking for water or anything coming from the bottom. I'm lost.
Old 05-20-2018, 02:10 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Did you get a flash-light and look down in there?

I also read: "My body shop guy said get under the car and go along the outer edge of the
body with an air hose till you find the weep holes, he says leaves and debris clog the holes up."
Old 05-23-2018, 09:09 PM
scan1959
1st Gear Member

Well there's your answer, if the top has delaminated from the glass, the water will drop into the vinyl well liner behind the back seat backrest then drop right down under the back seat bottom.

I saw an '07 Stang convertible this week that had done this. It will fill the available space under the back seat and then spill over into the rear seat footwells and fill them up with water.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:09 PM
SteveDwsn
1st Gear Member

08MustangDude: Thank you, thank you, thank you for the video. I tried everything, even a new top, but it still leaked. I knew about the two back drain holes, but not the front.. Between a bore scope and a long four-finger pick up tool, I pulled a bunch of leaf debris out of there. I didn't get it all, but enough that it drains now. I am going to take the plastic speaker cover off and see if I can get a vacuum in there to clean the rest of it out. Again, thank you!

Last edited by SteveDwsn; 07-10-2019 at 01:12 PM.