Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

To bra or not to bra ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 03:07 AM
adahlenburg

Default To bra or not to bra ?

I like the looks of the black leather bras, but have been having some debate over how "good" they are for the vehicle. I see clear bras touted as protecting the hood from chips etc., but then my brother said that putting a bra on is bad because the dust collects in it and the bra must be removed all the time for cleaning.

Well is that how the clear bras work? Are they removed all the time for cleaning? Would I be better off to put a clear bra on and then a black leather on top of it.

I want the look but Im not interested in high maintenance like removing the bra all the time.

What is the popular opinion on bras? Can anyone speak to this?
Old 04-06-2006, 06:40 AM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

Default RE: To bra or not to bra ?

They do as much harm as good. The paint won't sun-fade like the rest of the car under it so then when you take it off you're going to have a two-tone car. Dust and dirt can collect under it and scratch the paint as well as it holds water on the car longer instead of it just coming off. So if you have any exposed metal from scratches or anything, and there happens to be a pocket of water or even just the humidity of the bra, it will begin to rust. I would say no. Just stay a little farther back on the highway?
Old 04-06-2006, 11:31 AM
Mt Twigbert
4th Gear Member

+2 This guy said exactly what I experienced..
Old 04-06-2006, 01:23 PM
silverbull1tt

I used a bra on my previous car, caused the clear coat to chip and paint to scratch, I will not use another. You could always apply the 3M clear coating thingy to protect from chips.
Old 04-08-2006, 05:32 PM
adahlenburg

I was wanting it for the looks only... I have ding protection so any dings are fixed for free (no deductible either).
Old 04-08-2006, 05:43 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

If you are not willing to remove the bra weekly for inspection and cleaning as well as removing it when it is rains then do not get one. If however you are willing to do what is needed to assure it does not harm your paint then go for it. They are a great way to prevent rocks chips but they must be used properly. You must remove it weekly to wash the car and then you must inspect the underside of the bra for any debris. The Ford Bra is the best way to go and will give the best fit. There is a lot of Myth when it comes to bras and most of it is based on the 1970 version and the one stage paints we had back then. As for the clear bras they are nice and if you get a high quality one like the 3M brand and have a good installer put it on then you will not need to worry about paint fade as long as you take care of the care and wash and polish and wax it properly.

Richard
Old 04-08-2006, 11:03 PM
adahlenburg

So the clear br stays on permanently?

Then I think I will get a clear one installed and put a black one over it for the looks...the clear bra will protect it fromt he black bra right?

Yes I would get ford brand with the mustang logo on it.
Old 04-09-2006, 01:36 AM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: adahlenburg

So the clear br stays on permanently?

Then I think I will get a clear one installed and put a black one over it for the looks...the clear bra will protect it fromt he black bra right?

Yes I would get ford brand with the mustang logo on it.
No need for the clear bra. The Ford Bra will not harm your paint if you maintain it properly. Although if you wanted it for added protection that would be fine.

Richard
Old 04-17-2006, 11:57 PM
tims 88 4
4th Gear Member

dont get it they are just ugly
Old 04-18-2006, 12:46 AM
britt21
3rd Gear Member

tims 88 4 Date 4/17/2006 9:57:43 PM
dont get it they are just ugly