Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

Painting my car at home.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 11:19 PM
DJ19895.0
2nd Gear Member

Default Painting my car at home.

Ok, i've decided to paint my car at home. Before you all say that i am getting in way over my head, I know what incredible labor is involved and i have my entire summer vacation to do it. Its probably going to take like 200 hours, correct? I am going to take it down to the metal because i dont want it to chip and i want it done right, no matter what. My current paint is terrible and it is chipping like crazy, another reason to take it all the way down. I have no experience in body work or painting but at my auto tech school i walk over to auto body and watch painting movies and try to learn as much as possible before summer. I have read many articles on the net that are all different and i am getting confused. I want an ok looking paint job that will last. My questions are as follows. How do i take my plastic body kit, molding, and fiberglass hood all the way down with out screwing them up. Should i use a single stage paint because it is easier to use or go with a base coat and clear. What is the cost of EVERYTHING except a compressor. I was thinking like $1000-1300. What are some tips form people who have attempted a similar project. Thanks!!
Old 04-26-2006, 02:01 AM
Jimmz
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Painting my car at home.

LOL wow buddy your in wayyyy over your head... do you have an area in your home that is environmental free from dust, humidity, etc. that would be a start and then you would have to remove everything carefully the weather stripping would probably need to be replaced as well, the plastic body, molding, and fiberglass hood would just have to be removed carefully, I wouldnt do the prep work all your self cuz thats what takes the most time. I interned at a body shop for about a year and a half and not everyone can paint a car thats why people go to school for years and years because you need to do everything PERFECT! if I were you id probably do the body prep work and have a proffesional paint it, it would be a waste if you spend all that money and end up screwing up, yeah youll save urself a little bit of money but not if you dont do it right.... just my .02....
Old 04-26-2006, 02:20 AM
britt21
3rd Gear Member

^^ +1

Good luck with all of that, lol..
Old 04-26-2006, 11:46 AM
Scott P
2nd Gear Member

I admire your spirit, but it isn't exactly a simple job.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:04 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

DO NOT STRIP YOUR URETHANE BUMPERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you will have a hard time getting new paint to adhere to the plastic. urethane gives off a natural oil, and it makes it difficult to get paint to stick. scuff them up good with 400-600 grit sand paper, make sure you get into all of the cracks. i would recommend shimming all of your body panel areas, like where the bumper meets the fender, after you spray the car, get in the cracks with a razor knife and make sure the paint seperates... this is a common place where DIY paint jobs get F'ed up

personally.. i would do a base/clear... it allows more room for error. if you get a run in the paint, its more difficult to get it out of a single stang paint. with base clear, once your happy with the color... the clear can go on as many times as you want... 4-5 coats of clear always looks good
Old 04-26-2006, 11:58 PM
DJ19895.0
2nd Gear Member

WOW thanks for the great advice, keep it comin'!
Old 04-27-2006, 06:07 AM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jimmz

LOL wow buddy your in wayyyy over your head... do you have an area in your home that is environmental free from dust, humidity, etc. that would be a start and then you would have to remove everything carefully the weather stripping would probably need to be replaced as well, the plastic body, molding, and fiberglass hood would just have to be removed carefully, I wouldnt do the prep work all your self cuz thats what takes the most time. I interned at a body shop for about a year and a half and not everyone can paint a car thats why people go to school for years and years because you need to do everything PERFECT! if I were you id probably do the body prep work and have a proffesional paint it, it would be a waste if you spend all that money and end up screwing up, yeah youll save urself a little bit of money but not if you dont do it right.... just my .02....
hahaha, +1, just imagine it, stripping it down to bare metal then your paint coat coming out like crap, "time to start over cap'n"
Old 04-30-2006, 06:08 PM
BLACK06GT4ME
2nd Gear Member

[sm=badidea.gif]I admire your spunk but you are nuts to take on a job like that. All you will have at the end of the summer is an empty bank account and a trashed stang. Home auto painting is right up there with "At Home Denistry" and "Brain surgery in your Kitchen". Its one thing to bondo and paint a quarter panel but a full paint job from bare metal is a huge undertaking. Get a job this summer, save your money and get a professional paint job in the fall. Not only will the end product be better, your garage won't have overspray all over the floor, walls and ceiling. JMO [sm=badidea.gif]
Old 04-30-2006, 06:40 PM
LEJAY
I ♥ Acer

Go to a good 1 person owned bodyshop. Promise to let them paint it, and ask for their advice as to how to strip and prep it. Hell if they are close enough, the guy might stop in from time to time, to advise and answer questions. These guys are pretty cool, do a lot of custom work, and are often "gearheads" themselves. Check with several, until you find the guy you like, and will work with you.

PS---- I've watched several **** movies, but, I ain't an expert yet. Painting movies gotta be much more boring.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:49 PM
bullittproof01
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LEJAY

PS---- I've watched several **** movies, but, I ain't an expert yet. Painting movies gotta be much more boring.
haha, o my god !! seriously.... this made me laugh